S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

let's see if my STFA was successful regarding lemmiwinks & timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J and K are correct for the most part I guess. Where it becomes tricky is this....(long)

I don't see people discuss this much, I've never got a straight asnwer on this, and I have not had the chance to test this for myself because ECUx still isn't working (not for too much longer I hope), but here it goes:

If you have ECUx, you'd be able to see there are quite a few timing variables you can log. You can log individual cylinder timing, but there is also overall timing.....

From what I understand, 003 is showing you the overall timing. Nobody seems to know how the overall timing correlates with the individual cylider timing.....

CFs are based on individual cylinders. I imagine if you logged individual cylinder timing and individual cylinder CF, you could add the two together to get "ideal" timing on each cylinder. However, I'm not so sure how CF on individual cylinders would affect overall timing. I don't think you can just add the CF from a single cylinder, or the average CF of all 6 cylinders, to the overall timing in block 003 to get the desired.

In all honesty, I have no idea. It seems like nobody else does either. I've been very curious about this for quite some time. I even made a post a while back asking how overall and individual cylinder timing correlated, but nobody seemed to know for sure.

I could go on and on about this, but I think I'll stop now. I hope I didn't just confuse the ever living **** out of you. If I did, I apologize.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i understand. now i wish i had a decent laptop to run ECUx.

or maybe i can bug DAP or MarkP. hehe.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Copied & pasted this.....

Essentially, a multi-cylinder engine is a collection of individual engines operating at different combustion and mechanical efficiencies. If we can optimize the power output from each one, the overall total power will increase.

When the typical multi-cylinder engine's ignition timing is tuned through a distributor, it is being set at a compromised value that is the most total ignition timing allowed by the weakest (defined by its engine knock limit) of the individual cylinders. For example, if the number two cylinder of a Chevy V-8 only tolerates 29 degrees BTDC (before top dead center) of total ignition timing before damaging engine knock in that cylinder begins, we have to set a conventional ignition distributor to that overall value of ignition advance for all of the other cylinders. We could be giving up power gains from those other cylinders that could tolerate more total ignition advance, say up to 32 degrees BTDC.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Elder Member

Default So overall timing = lowest timing of 6 individual cylinders?

I can't wait for ECUx to work so I can log and see for myself!!
Old 04-05-2005, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's my interpretation....weakest of the bunch. *refrains from any ECUx comments* :P
Old 04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Elder Member

Default Thanks for that info. I'll be sure to test that and get back with you on it.

I should be getting it to work very soon. I'll be making a post about that as well. I finally found someone at APR that actually gave a sh*t about my issues and is trying to help me through it.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can't wait to see the logs!
Old 04-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Elder Member

Default One more thought....

How would one explain a WOT log *with all 6 cylinders showing CF's >1*???

Based on what is above, only 5 cylinders should have pull back and 1 cylinder should not...or so I'd think.

This could turn into an interesting discussion. Finally, something worth discussing.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default [edited: nevermind]

blah?
Old 04-06-2005, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Total noob question: "Can our ECU set individual cyl. timing?"

If not, than the statement re: distributors would still be valid even for EFI/ECU motors...yes?

Quick Reply: let's see if my STFA was successful regarding lemmiwinks & timing