S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking for Bra for S4. Suggestions, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2000, 09:57 AM
Betsey

Default Looking for Bra for S4. Suggestions, anyone?

Colgan is good stuff I'm told but don't know who carries them?

Betsey
Old 02-10-2000, 10:09 AM
Wilber

Default Re: Looking for Bra for S4. Suggestions, anyone?

From my expereinces(2 cents) stay away from the leather bras. Cause more headaches than good. I've been tring to find someone in the PA area in install what is called a Clear Bra, 3M is one of the major deals f the product, but haven't had any luck. There has been postings regarding installers of clear bras, mainly west coast. Best of luck.

Wilber
Old 02-10-2000, 10:40 AM
FrancisK

I agree! The bra will leave a long scratch along the hood. I really don't want to use the bra again.
Old 02-10-2000, 10:55 AM
mm

Default Avoid leather of fabric bras, as they will generally scratch the finish, get a clear bra instead...

...which is a thin, clear plastic film which is applied directly on to and over the paint on the surfaces to be protected. Stonguard and Invincasheild are at least two manufacturers/installers. The films will protect the paint, are typically guaranteed not to damage the paint, and can be easily removed if desired. Search the archives using Bra as a keyword for more information than you could ever want on clear bras.
Old 02-10-2000, 11:42 AM
S42K

Default I think fabric is just fine!!!!!

I have used them for years, and as long as you keep your car clean and waxed, never a problem. I have never had a problem with scratches, but I really maintain my car, so it's a personal call. Just keep them out of the rain if possible, and let air dry when they do get wet. I ahve looked into the clear bras, and they are a fixed item... which bothers me! I like to have my car 'nakid' on sunny spring days.......
Old 02-10-2000, 12:09 PM
mm

Whoops! Should read, "Avoid leather OR fabric bras..."
Old 02-10-2000, 12:20 PM
mm

Default Hmmm, how good is your eyesight?

No offense, but let me ask you this. Have you ever seen what happens when someone writes "wash me" with their finger in the dust on a dirty car? The movement of the dust against the finish will scratch the paint where the words were spelled out. Often you can still read "wash me" as fine scratches in the paint even after the car has been cleaned.

This is the same sort of effect a fabric or leather bra can have on you car's finish. Such bras will move around slightly and vibrate against the car's finish when moving as a result of wind and road vibrations. If any dust gets in between the bra and the car's finish, the bra will scrub that dust around on your car's finish, which can lead to scratches. Why risk it when a clear bra is next to invisible on the car when properly installed. Many fabric leather bras are also constructed out of abrasive materials which end up directly against the finish. As the bra material moves around during driving, it too will tend to scratch the finish. I've seen some pretty severe paint damage from regular leather and fabric bras, and I've never seen one that does not lead to at least some scratching no matter how carefully it is used.

Clear bras avoid all these problems, and are really barely visible at all when properly installed. It's up to you, but it's a no brainer IMHO.
Old 02-10-2000, 01:58 PM
Betsey

Default mm....Which brand of clear bra did you get? Can I install?

I am patient and talented. Is installation too technically difficult? I am guessing cost to be $100 to $200?
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2000, 02:21 PM
S42K

Default Re: Hmmm, how good is your eyesight?

The key is simple, keep the car clean. I keep a California Duster and a car cover handy, and thus I have no problems. Be mindful, the dust that settles on your hood, under a bra, is also on the car, and gets blown off in other palces. You will NEVER prevent scratches, even minute ones. I own a Silver A4, the wifes car is jet black, and I have no problems at all. It's simply a case of proper maintaince of the paint, and a good wax... and not the crap you get at Pep Boys! A little hard work twice a year, and consistant washing w/h2o and a old colth diaper works wonders.

I also NEVER have to drop additional $400 if I get in a accident!!! Another problem with the clear bras is that they fade (actually turn yellow) if in the sun a large amount. I know of 3 folks whom have these on very high priced toys, and have removed them based on this problem in SoCal.
Old 02-10-2000, 02:44 PM
mm

Fair enough, although I think that most manufacturers have corrected the yellowing problem.

Quick Reply: Looking for Bra for S4. Suggestions, anyone?