S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking to get an S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get an S4

Hey all. I'm kinda new to the S4... been around Audi a while, but wanted to make the big leap.

So while shopping for an S4 is there a good guide on what to look for. I know the 2001.5 thing and what to look for, but is that really all that important in the grand scheme of things?

What questions are good to ask perspective sellers?

I've got nothing but time in the looking here, so I'll wait till I find the right car at the right price... but for now, need me some edumacation.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Default here is a guide, take your time finding one, and get you wallet ready :)

<ul><li><a href="http://www.audisport-iberica.com/ftp_asi/s4bt-buyguide.pdf">http://www.audisport-iberica.com/ftp_asi/s4bt-buyguide.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 08-17-2007, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Curiosity why the 2001.5?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:06 PM

Default http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/802114.phtml

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/802114.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/802114.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't you upgrade all those anyways? Fhose, tbb, tires, except esp..and doesn't that suck?...

Why are you always on here so late. You have a lot of great input and info. It is a shame you can't share during the day.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are a lot of things that you may or may not remember or be able to check depending on your

situation and experience. People will tell you to STFA which you should do but I understand as I was in your shoes not long ago (we all were at some point which is something a lot of people here seem to forget). The best advice I can give is to get a real good PPI from someone with a lot of qualifications (if that person is you, great!) before you buy. This will give you a lot of info on the car and may help in negotiations. There are common sense questions you can ask the seller but they can say a lot of things and I like facts more.
Here's my process in figuring out who is the most qualified to do the PPI and other work:
1. Figure out who makes the best Audi's (or whatever car it applies to) and/or specifically your model.
2. Figure out what you want out of the car and mods you plan on getting. Then determine who has the most experience/support with each specific mod you want.
3. Once you narrow down options, visit the facilities and talk to the employees and clients to get a feel for them and make your final decision.

The answer I came up with to #1 is Champion Motorsport. If you can't get them, they have affiliates/partners/etc. that you can go to for a start.
I spent a lot of time looking into mods and looked into shops that dealt with each major issue I had.
Coincidentally, each step I took led me to the same shop in the end.
Luckily, even though I narrowed it down to one main shop for me, I also found a few others in the area that I can go to as well when I want.
So as you can tell from how my post ended up, I think your main concern when buying this car (or any car but definatley with this one) is to make sure you have the best support you can get. I hear the AW forums can be great for providing some of that support at times.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I was in the same boat...

2001.5 is the best... however, 2001 is also great... I'd stay away from early 2000s.

The most important key is THE CONDITON of the car, regardles of year. I found a low milage 2001 in great shape and I bought it and don't have a single regret (ok, lying, was dying to find a Nogaro blue!)

ask for service records, ask to see if he/she knows S4 issues and have fixed em, asked if it's been moded and pretend you like modded more than stock (to make em talk), make sure car pulls smoothly, rides fine, and is balanced. have it checked for sure before buying and look for oil leaks under the car.

There are a lot of posts around what exactly to look for... but in general rule of thumb... cannot go wrong with a clean low milage, not crazy modded car!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Disagree. Early 2000 is preferrable. :-)
Old 08-18-2007, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I'm not sure why someone would steer you away from a 2000

I am an original owner of a early 2000. The car has had zero problems. I have only had to perform regular maintenace. It has been chipped from day one and Tubos are still fine. No MAF problems. Plus you get aluminum up-rights. I would not let the year be your determining factor. Condition, Carfax, Maintenace records and mileage would be mine. Remember around 70,000 miles you need to start thinking timing belt which is fairly expensive so hopefully you can find one with this work already performed.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't forget ... also no aggressive stability control in early 2000 to deal with.

Quick Reply: Looking to get an S4