S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Looking for the hidden EQ settings post from the past 2 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No... you missed my point.

There are two philosphies.

1. Change the sound so you like the way it sounds... more bass more highs...

2. Keep the sound as true to the original recording as possible.

The only way to allow a loudspeaker to reproduce an image, proper dynamics, and to through a soundstage is to keep the response as flat in the room as possible. Otherwise the nuances of the music that tell you the violin is real, or that Stevey Ray Vaughn's amp only buzzes when he puts his foot down on the volume pedal, or that John Bonham's bass drum pedal usually has a low squeak to it.

So do what you like. But when you design something, you have to start with some predetermined goal and if perfection is not it, what is there?
Old 09-24-2001, 09:43 PM

Default Yes, that's all encapsulated in "sounds good"

It sounds like you're saying that you need to know that it's a flat response to know that you have a coherent soundstage. What I'm saying is that if you want a coherent sound stage, just listen for it with your ears and not a spectrum analyzer. (Also, I don't think a spectrum analyzer will tell you the third-degree of information like balance/definition of the sound stage, etc. Differences such as the types of microphones used will make a much bigger difference even when the response is as flat as you can measure.)

The definition of perfection is essentially what we're arguing about. You're saying that perfection comes from perfect reproduction. I'm saying that perfection is when you enjoy the music the most. My major point is that there is no equation between the two.

What I don't understand is why anyone would strive for a perfect reproduction when it doesn't guarantee that you'll enjoy it. There are tube-amps that many people prefer for their warm sound when their THDs are much higher than very simple transistor amps. Such people are judging with their ears and not with specifications.

There really can't be any difference of opinion when you are merely stating your own. If I say that "I enjoy this amplifier with 3% THD over one with 0.008% THD" then nobody can come back and say "no, you're wrong--you don't enjoy that amp." That's why I think it's important to actually do the comparison by listening and not by specifications. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anyone else (or the specifications) says.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:53 PM

Default Tubes produce even harmonics...

The ones your ears don't mind. Transistors do the odds, which your ears don't like, and that's why it has to be low.
Old 09-24-2001, 10:04 PM

Default Which harmonics isn't the point...

I'm saying that you should be able to tell with your ears, not with instrumentation. If you can't tell with your ears then any difference is irrelevant.