S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

loud tire question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud tire question...

one of my ES100's is unbearably loud. Assuming this is becasue of feathering/cupping, could I switch it to the other side, run it "backwards" for a few days (not at speed or anything crazy), and have that wear down the high areas and make it quiter? Hmmm...
Old 03-18-2004, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just one? You sure it's not a wheel bearing?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default interesting point...

it doesn't sound metallic or mechanical, it really just sounds like a tire. I guess if I jacked up the front end I'd be able to tell more, but how?

I think I'm gonna move the noisy one around tonight and see if the noise moves with it, that'll help the most.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Elder Member

Default Also check for uneven tire wear. A fellow S4er had 235/40ZR18 T1-Ss that were unbearable...

...when in fact T1-Ss are decent when it comes to tire noise. We checked the tires and the camber wore the inside tires to the steel threads!
Old 03-18-2004, 01:14 PM

Default My S03's were cupping after only 5K (front left more then the other 3), and it got so bad...

...I felt like I was starring in a remake of Apolc. Now every time I drove...the copter sound was soooo bad. Had a shop rotate, flip and true, and now it's like I'm driving someone else's car. Cost me some $, but well worth it. Dunno if a few days would be enough...maybe a true is in order.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default also look for abnormal tire wear...

cause like MadMan said, your alignment might be off.
Old 03-18-2004, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default wear is pretty even on all four, *but*

that one noisy tire seems to be more worn than the rest. It has been on the right front for almost 5K, I wonder if the alignment might be out. The car tracks fine, the tires tramline a bit (which I've found to be true based on others ES100 comments), everything else seems fine.

My dealer's main SA (not the Audi specific one) did say that I can get a free alignment if I would just come in with my stock Avus and say that it was tracking funny. He's a good guy, heh. I may do that for good measure, car has 40 and never been aligned. I know it shouldn't really need it, but it doesn't hurt to get it checked out for free...
Old 03-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Elder Member

FREE is good. :-)
Old 03-18-2004, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

free tiddy. Why not? Nothing to lose, but a couple hrs.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Similar problem-possible alternate cause(long)

I have Sumitomo HTRZ-II's which got extremely loud this past summer.(About 50% tread left.) I noticed every other tread block was higher than the previous one on the inside edge of the driver's side front tire.
I rotated them and continued driving. When I put the snows on I noticed that now both driver's side tires had the odd wear pattern.
Checked for loose suspension components, torn boots, etc... Everything looked OK. Figured I'd wait until the pothole ridden winter/early spring was over with and get the tires rebalanced and an alignment done.
Over the course of the winter I developed a clunking noise that was only audible at low speed while going over the curb pulling into my driveway.
Fast forward to two weeks ago. Took my car in for 50K service and mentioned the clunking noise. Had the driver's side upper control arms replaced.
My theory- control arm bushings had been on their way out for a while and caused wear to whatever tire was on the driver's side front.
Sorry for the long reply. I don't post much because:
1)I usually STFA.
2)Don't have anything useful to say.
3)I'm an idiot therefore (see#2).
Good luck
Just realized I didnt directly address your question(see#3).

Quick Reply: loud tire question...