S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Love both the e46 M3 and the S4 but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry... let me clarify that....

If I purchase the Dinan S/C system from the authorized Dinan distributor Classic BMW, they (acting as both Dinan dealer and BMW NA) will cover the vehicle for the remainder of the factory wtty. That includes the S/C and all of its components. You can't then mod the car or change any of the specs if you want to keep the wtty. So if you mess with boost then you are on your own! In the links you provided, NOTHING REFUTES THAT. Dinan picks up the charge for other parts that **May** be affected. Surely, you read the disclaimer that you pointed to. The only issue would be if you tried to take it to a non Dinan shop... which I wouldn't do anyway. The point remains is that BMW dealerships support Dinan while BMW NA may not. FACT: the S/C system would be covered by a wtty and that you would only have to take it to the dealership where you had it installed. Hopefully you won't try to get them to wtty the clutch that you fried while trying to break into the low 12's.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:03 PM

And you can see my response "Sorry.... let me clarify that..." it has all the answer you need.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other way around IIRC, Porsche wined so BMW produced a small number
Old 05-21-2002, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, dumb *** comparison ... I agree this mod to stock comparison is silly

because, throw money out the window you can mod any car to do whatever you want. I could care less that you can make a civic as fast or faster than Ferrari Spider 360 for about $100K less than the cost of the Spider, personally, I'd take the Spider. Bottom line, is it's not always about value, it's about getting what you want.

I don't want a car that is like a Spider, or a car that is like an S4, or a car that is like an M3 ... or ... I hope I don't have to worry about value, because for me, it's always about getting what you want.

If you want supped Civic, get it, be happy, if you want a supped up S4 get it, be happy, if you want the Spider, or E46 M3, or whatever ... get it and be happy.

I mean this is the real kicker, why are you buying an S4 so you can get it to be as fast an E46 M3, why didn't you buy the M3 if that's what you wanted.
Old 05-21-2002, 02:12 PM

Default No...Dinan warranties *his* parts, but his supercharger voids the BMW *powertrain* warranty...

The warranty page I linked to states explicitly that the Dinan supercharger installation voids the factory powertrain warranty.

<i>If I purchase the Dinan S/C system from the authorized Dinan distributor Classic BMW, they (acting as both Dinan dealer and BMW NA) will cover the vehicle for the remainder of the factory wtty. That includes the S/C and all of its components. You can't then mod the car or change any of the specs if you want to keep the wtty. So if you mess with boost then you are on your own! In the links you provided, NOTHING REFUTES THAT. Dinan picks up the charge for other parts that **May** be affected. Surely, you read the disclaimer that you pointed to. </i>

Sure I did; did you? You might have missed it, because it was linked to at the bottom of the first post, but this is straight off of Dinan's website. It states that the installation of the supercharger voids the *powertrain* warranty, and that you must *purchase* a powertrain warranty when you install the supercharger; it is not included in the price of the supercharger. Here's what it says (this is quoted directly from their warranty page, which I've linked to at the bottom of this post):

<i> <b> The installation of some Dinan Performance Products and systems may affect the vehicle manufacturer's new car warranty. The vehicle manufacturer's new car warranty may not apply to modifications of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which substantially alter the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to the other original components. Examples of Dinan products and systems which would likely void some aspects of the vehicle manufacturer's new car warranty are Supercharger Systems and Stroker Engines. </b> </i>

Then, further down, they offer the supplemental warranty coverage:

<i>SUPPLEMENTAL POWERTRAIN WARRANTY

Dinan Superchargers and Stroker Engines will affect portions of the Original Vehicle Manufacturer's Warranty. In order to provide full warranty coverage, Dinan offers an OPTIONAL Supplemental Powertrain Warranty. This warranty may ONLY BE PURCHASED at the time of purchase and installation of the Supercharger or Stroker Engine. The Dinan Supplemental Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of replacement or repair of an eligible failed component in the powertrain when the Original Vehicle Manufacturer's Warranty has been affected by the installation of a Dinan Supercharger or Stroker Engine. The term of the Dinan Supplemental Powertrain Warranty matches the remaining term of the Original Vehicle Manufacturer's Warranty, up to 4 years or 50,000 miles.

For the purposes of the Dinan Supplemental Powertrain Warranty, the powertrain is defined as; the engine (including all internal parts, seals and gaskets), engine mounts, clutch (when the failure is not due to normal wear and tear), transmission (including all internal parts, seals and gaskets), transmission mounts, driveshaft, flex disc, center bearing, U-joint, differential
(including all internal parts, seals and gaskets), differential mounts, half shafts and constant velocity joints. </i>

I would suggest you read their warranty page in its entirety if you're getting one of those puppies installed, just so you'll know fully what you are and are not getting.<ul><li><a href="http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/warranty.htm">Dinan's warranty page</a></li></ul>
Old 05-21-2002, 02:13 PM

Except for the errors. ;-p
Old 05-21-2002, 02:30 PM

FYI: they charge $2000 for their supplemental powertrain warranty...
Old 05-21-2002, 04:45 PM

Old 05-21-2002, 04:46 PM

give them a call and post your findings..... 650-962-9401 Dinan Sales and Svc.
Old 05-21-2002, 04:59 PM

Default So Dinan's website is LYING???? It PLAINLY states that the mods void the warranty, and that

you have to BUY a warranty if you want the engine covered. For pete's sake, I put the link right there in my last post, AND I quoted the website directly; did you even bother to read it? IT, not me, is what is stating this, in very plain, unequivical English. ALL I'M DOING is posting what DINAN'S WEBSITE SAYS, and if you don't like it, take it up with them and stop shooting the messenger. This is ALSO written in some of the magazine reviews by Car &amp; Driver et al that are scanned and published on their website.

Furthermore, download DINAN'S price list; it LISTS prices for the warranty, which is WHERE I GOT THE INFO. Why would they list a price for something they give you for free? Hmm?

And if you're willing to put more stock in what someone tells you over the phone than what is in writing, let me give you a bit of legal advice: a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. If all you've got is this person's word, and he/she is *wrong*, or even worse, *lying*, and you get this supercharger and your engine blows, you will have *no* legal recourse without getting something in writing that says they'll cover ALL components in the car, INCLUDING the parts for which their mods void the warranty.

But do whatever you want; I only hope your engine doesn't blow and leave you with a 15K repair bill...I would submit that it might be in *your* best interests to clarify this matter, in writing, before making your purchase.

Happy driving.

Quick Reply: Love both the e46 M3 and the S4 but....