S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

M3 vs S$

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2000, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M3 vs S$

I have a 95 M3, looking to sell it for an S4. Was wondering since I live in Manhattan and can't really test drive on if they are as "fun" to drive?
Old 04-17-2000, 02:59 PM

Default Re: M3 vs S$

one good midday run on the west side highway should seal the deal.
Old 04-17-2000, 03:03 PM

All the dealers I've driven with have been VERY nervous with me in the car, no I am not a teenager and yes my wife was with me. She drove it kinda hard in CT and I thought the salesman was going to ask her to pull over
Old 04-17-2000, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

in my opinion.. i'd wait till the new M3 comes out baby! It will be out soon.
Old 04-17-2000, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you are a boyracer get the M3, if you want a safe hightech rocket, get the S4
Old 04-17-2000, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

M3 is definitely more of a pure sports car. S4 is a "high performance luxury sedan". It will completely keep up with the M3, but feels very different. Ride is better in S4, but it is a little softer, and not quite as "sharp". Power delivery in S4 is smoother than M3. Chipped S4 is significantly faster than M3, not only 0-60, but more noticeably in passing power at speed. A chipped S4 pulls and pulls, no matter how fast you are going. In terms of practicality, there is no contest, S4 wins hands down. Quattro is phenomenal in snow with the right tires. Here's my overall take: M3 is more of an overall sports car. S4 is faster and is a BETTER car.
Old 04-17-2000, 03:33 PM

Glad nobody has strong opinions, I think I need a more mature car, so unless anyone has serios probs with the S4 I think its a winner thanks for all the feed back
Old 04-17-2000, 04:24 PM

i sold my m3 to purchase a new s4-i have not been disappointed yet. the m3 certainly drives different than the s4, particuarly the suspension. my m3 was a lot "tighter" than my s4...i'm going to have a coilover suspension installed soon. i also like the driveability of my s4 all year as opposed to my m3 sitting a good 4 or 5 months out of the year because of snow and ice. good luck with your decision.
Old 04-17-2000, 06:05 PM

My two cents:

I was honestly dissappointed in the performance of my S4 until I chipped it.

The car performs substantially weaker when it's hot and on a hot day. I really suggest you test drive it under these conditions, and let it warm up. My tuner shop suggested it can lose about 30% of power in these conditions, and that matches my observations.

I haven't driven an M3 .. but before you believe all the S4 enthusiasts ('it's faster') give it a try under the conditions above. (Apparently M3's are much less susceptible to this degradation when warm. No turbos?)

Also be aware that you have to buy the chip, maybe exhaust and wheels, tires ... the bmw has better wheels (and shifter?) stock, etc, and there are less warranty questions if you're not chipping it.

If you're signed up to invest in these things for your S4, fine (and this will narrow the price difference). But otherwise I'm skeptical that you'll get the performance of an M3.

I do find the S4 a much more comfortable car, and the performance chipped is very good.
Old 04-17-2000, 06:28 PM

Default S4 + S$ = M3-

O.K.--

I know I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I've driven both cars and consider the M3 much sportier. The Getrag shifter is a dream compared to the S4's vague-o-tronic setup. The M3 suspension is taut and stiff out of the box. The steering gives you superior road feel. The brakes are wonderful. And the styling is more advanced.

The good news is that with liberal injections of money, you can make your S4 an M3-beater, plus have a little more exclusivity. Turbos are easy to extract more power from. Sooo--you buy a chip, and free-flow exhaust, a superior coilover suspension, the UUC shortshifter, lightweight wheels, and decent tires. Presto--you have an M3 equivalent. And your total investment is about the M3 sticker price.

If you want to have an M3+, throw another 10k at the car for bigger turbos and intercoolers, bigger brakes, and some aero bits. I actually think this is fun, but I can understand that others would not want the hassle. Bottom line: The M3 is racier and rawer, the S4 is a smooth sophisticate that has a beastly side you can draw out--if you have the time and patience.

Hope this helps...

Lee in D.C. (miss the M3 every time I shift, brake, or turn the steering wheel, otherwise, no problem...)

Quick Reply: M3 vs S$