S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Made another attempt at getting ECUx to work and still no go. WTF? <frustrated>

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 08:19 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good idea, but I've been over this with APR (Erin Watwood) about 20 times....

When I try the USB port, it's on accurate USB. When I try on the serial emulated port, it's on standard com port 2. I've tried *every* single connection type/port type/baud rate combo possible on both ports....several times.

Seriously, I've tried just about everything. IIRC, been trying to get this working for well over a year.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Do you have another computer you can use? I'd drag a desktop (m)

out to the garage and try that as well. You have the correct profile for your ECU code? What did they say about swapping the cable?

I know you've probably answered these questions before. I picked up ECUx a week ago and had some configuration problems, but got that resolved and it has worked ok for me.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 AM
Elder Member

Default I've got my dad's laptop, which he offered to let me use to troubleshoot ECUx.

I've tried several different profiles just in case, but mine is 120 IIRC....M box.

"What did they say about swapping cables?"

Why would I swap cables? I've tried 3 VAG cables and then they sent me an APR cable at a discount to see if that worked.....so 4 cables later and still not working....doubt it's the cable(s) since they work perfectly on other programs such as lemmi and VAG. Obviously, APR cable doesn't work with VAG...but all my VAG cables worked with lemmi and VAG.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So if I have this right, the following is what you have tried so far. (m)

1) Two different computers.
2) 1 APR USB Cable
3) Verified using correct ECU profile
4) Other software, VAG/Lemmi, can communicate with car, using your laptop, using non-APR cables.
5) Tried variety of settings within ECUx for USB cable.

Has anybody else with ECUx been able to log data on your car? If so, was it with your cable or theirs?

What type of VAG cables did you use?

If I were in your shoes I'd be having APR send me a second USB cable. You've obviously spent a lot of time on this, my take is you have to rule out all possible problems. I'd also have APR verify that the second cable they send you works on a car.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:02 AM
Elder Member

Default Most of that is correct....

1.) I have not attempted to try ECUx on the 2nd computer, but my dad has offered to let me.

2.) correct

3.) correct

4.) correct

5.) correct.

VAG cables I've used: Key-USB, 2 Twin-USBs, APR supplied cable.

IIRC, Nick Gustas logged my car a LONG time ago with ECUx using his computer and serial VAG cable.

I haven't even been using the APR cable for testing anymore. It *should* work perfectly with the VAG cables, just like it does for everyone else.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think you should take your dad up on his offer. It will give you (m)

a fresh start and a clean install. You can go through the different cables again, I agree with you that if those other cables have worked before they should now. It's either some element with your car, the connector, or the computer. Your car communicates with the other software using those non-APR cables, so it seems like most likely there is an issue with your computer or the software install. Trying a different computer seems like the logical next step.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Elder Member

Default Hmm, didn't notice this post until now. So have you been working with someone at APR to fix it?

Let me know if you hear anything, please. I've been at this waaaaaaay too long, beyond disappointed.