S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

manual transaxle fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual transaxle fluid

i am going to change all the fluids in my 2000 manual s4. i have searched for days on what to put in my transmission. i have always had good luck with the royal purple so i will be using that in everything BUT the transmission. i have read that the gl5 rating on it kills the copper synchros. i am really looking for a solid answer on what fluid to use. i want one that will get most mpg and best shifts. i have heard redline mt90, redline mtl, shockproof , etc. i hear motul doesnt shift good in cold climates. i live in ny. temp ranges from 0 degrees to 100 degrees F. i am really just looking for a straight answer with less opinions and more actual experiences. what is the all time best fluid for these transmissions. if it happens to be the stock i will gladly replace it with that. i have been running in circle for days trying to pick the perfect fluid for this. thanks in advance...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Amsoil also looks good on paper but I read if the synthetic is too slippery it can also harm the synchros...
Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can't comment much on the fluid except for the PO put Amsoil in my S4 about 25k miles ago and it shifts amazingly well for a car with 100k.

One thing to note, be SUPER careful on which plugs you pull. There are a lot of things that look like drain/fill plugs but a few of them spell disaster if removed.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by twiztids4
i am going to change all the fluids in my 2000 manual s4. i have searched for days on what to put in my transmission. i have always had good luck with the royal purple so i will be using that in everything BUT the transmission. i have read that the gl5 rating on it kills the copper synchros. i am really looking for a solid answer on what fluid to use. i want one that will get most mpg and best shifts. i have heard redline mt90, redline mtl, shockproof , etc. i hear motul doesnt shift good in cold climates. i live in ny. temp ranges from 0 degrees to 100 degrees F. i am really just looking for a straight answer with less opinions and more actual experiences. what is the all time best fluid for these transmissions. if it happens to be the stock i will gladly replace it with that. i have been running in circle for days trying to pick the perfect fluid for this. thanks in advance...
I like the VW/Audi OEM fluid and there has been a price reduction recently.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by twiztids4
I've always used Redline MT90 in my B5's and C5's. It has performed well in NY/CT winters, is relatively easy to get, and doesn't cost a fortune.

Best,
Old 06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ditto on the Redline. I put it in all the diffs and transmission. Everything has been great for the last 30000 miles. For reference, in the summer I get ~30mpg on the highway at 70mph.

For what its worth, I just put royal purle in my 2006 Denali's diffs and transfer case and haven't noticed any improvment in mileage.