S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

This may be a beaten to death issue but about Stasis Tracksports......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 04:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This may be a beaten to death issue but about Stasis Tracksports......

what would be the best spring rates and valving for my specific situation:

1. I live in Queens, NY (an outer borough of NYC) which isn't that bad in terms of roads and potholes.
2. Don't track the car now but plan to do so later this year (New Year's resolution
3. Ride quality is important, but I can live with a harsher ride (as well as anybody who gets in the car with me).

-I called Ryan at Stasis about 1.5 weeks ago and for my situation he suggested 600F/700R with sport valving, which is their most common setup.

-I had previously touched base with Josh at Achtuning about 2 weeks ago and for my situation he suggested 550F/650R with sport valving.

How significant a difference do the sport and touring valving make to the ride/handling?

Also, I've heard that the ride quality in the Tracksports is better than the H&R Streets, which I've sat in, despite the Stasis having higher spring rates. Is this true?

Thanks for reading all this if you've gotten this far. I've STFA, but can't find anything substantive.

Peace.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no personal experiemncem, but people with stasis setups always say the ride isn't that

bad even with higher spring rates. So I would probably go high on spring rates with track valving. Just keep them on soft until track events. Considering what A4 guys run, I think I would go 700/800 with an S4.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:22 AM

if you plan on tracking, I would go with the higher front rate - better stability under hard braking
Old 12-24-2003, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the Track Sports with 600/700 and I drive into NYC fairly often.

Two comments...I love my track sports for PA roads and highway cruising. But if I lived in NYC, I would have gone with a softer suspension, maybe even stayed stock. Those city roads are brutal. Not sure about Queens, I'm usually in the Bronx and Manhatten. YMMV
Old 12-24-2003, 06:54 AM

Default You are correct in that Manhattan & the Bronx have the worst roads of the 5 boroughs, because...

they contain the most heavily traveled highways (FDR, Cross-Bronx, Major Deegan, etc.) with heavy traffic (including trucks) and due to the heavy traffic, repairs to the roads (re-paving & pothole repair) cannot take place as often, else heavier traffic is the result. Repaving mostly happens at night during off-peak hours.

I happen to work with a NYC Agency and took courses on Traffic Control/Engineering.

Chances are I will go with the 600F/700R w/ sport valving, because I rarely drive into Manhattan and the Bronx except when just passing through.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:50 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Well...the spring rate isn't a huge issue...

I have 500/600 and I'm quite happy with the spring rates. If I lived closer to NYC, I don't think I'd want a heavier spring rate. On the track (one time), I was VERY pleased...but I really only pushed it through the turns...never really punished the brakes. For a 3600lb car, it did as well as I would expect it to. Remember, you can always call and order different springs if you're not happy...so don't fret over the spring rates.

Regarding the valving...it's more critical that you get this right. I have the touring valving. Overall...I've very happy with the ride quality. It's stiff, and you feel it, but it's not bone jarring, and it's not "harsh" (the hallmark of cheap shocks imho). The sport valving is more aggressive, but unfortunately, I don't have enough seat time in a car equipped with sport valving to make a good comparison for you.

I'm in PA, a stone's throw from Trenton NJ if you want to ride in a set up before you make a decision. This weekend I'll probably be occupied...but next week, or New Years Day and beyond, I might be able to make some accomodation. Just post here, and I'll email you my contact info.

(Ryan...if you're reading this...I *still* need to install those front shocks!! :-P Long story short...my beater broke down, and by the time I got it fixed...the weather had dropped into the 30's...brrrrrrr. I'll get it done, and get those shocks back to you...maybe over New Years weekend)
Old 12-24-2003, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ride quality is extremely subjective...

it all depends on what you're used to and what expectations you have. i.e. i thought my stock s4 suspension was on the soft side..my friend who drives a stock accord thought it rode pretty rough =)

i have 600/700 track sports and i've ridden in a car with h&r street (w/ sway bar) and i thought the ride quality was pretty much a toss-up. i'm guessing the h&r streets are probably gonna be a bit softer and hence a bit more compliant but i'd need more seat time to decide. at first i thought my track sports were a bit too stiff but i've gotten used to it and am now very glad i went with them over the softer h&r streets.

but having said that, I'd HIGHLY recommend you take a ride in a car equipped with the suspension you're looking to get. that really is the only definite way you know what you're getting. Choosing the wrong suspension is an expensive mistake to make. I'm sure someone in your area has track sports and would be happy to take you for a spin.

rishiS4
Old 12-24-2003, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gues you haven't received your Christmas wish yet :-(

Well, Merry Christmas to you anyway.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

btw, i have sport valving
Old 12-24-2003, 01:29 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Quick Reply: This may be a beaten to death issue but about Stasis Tracksports......