S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

mmm... I knew it was too good to be true (Or: Why you can't trust a BMW dealer)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2001, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mmm... I knew it was too good to be true (Or: Why you can't trust a BMW dealer)

Well, my Audiworld friends...isn't this JUST dandy....

I was in the BMW dealership on Wednesday where I finally got a chance to drive an E46 M3 coupe. I had given them a $500 deposit two weeks ago to order one for me. At that time, I just walked into the dealership, asked them if they were taking orders, they said yes, and then I gave them my money and filled out the order sheet. I had the slight thought that it was a little too good to be true, that I shouldn't have been able to get in so easily given all that you hear about waitlists, but I figured since the economy was in the toilet that things had softened up a lot.

We filled out the order sheet, but I told the salesguy to hold off for a little bit until I decided whether I wanted the stick shift or SMG. After the test drive, I was convinced I wanted the M3 (I was a little unsure before ;-), and I decided that I wanted the stick. So the guy says that he's going to put the order in on Friday now that I had made up my mind. The slot was for January production and February delivery.

Well....to start off an already bad morning, he calls me today (Friday) and tells me that there are 60 people ahead of me in line!! They have 4 production slots a month, so that means another 1.5 years!! I asked him if he was ****ing kidding and how the hell did he miss that one, and all he could tell me was that he looked in the wrong drawer. He said that in reality, he doesn't know when I can get a car because there might be a number of people who cancel their orders. But since that usually doesn't happen until the car is on the ground, that means that I won't be able to get exactly what I want unless I get lucky.

So now I'm royally pissed off, and just as I was starting to get some respect for BMW dealers (those guys at that dealership were actually really cool to me) it has gone away FAST. I still want the damn car so I told them to hold on to my deposit but I also told them that because of this, they should bump me ahead in the line, but I think that one fell on deaf ears.

But now I'm going to call up Tom McAfee at Andersen-Behel Porsche/Audi and take a hard and serious look at a 996. I had dismissed the option before becuase of the cost, but there are a number of very distinct advantages the 996 has over the M3 that are making that car look really good to me now, in spite of the price. And yes, I know that if I order one it would take upwards of 6 months, but at least that's a solid deadline that I can plan for, not something that's up in the air.

In a way this is like Karma getting back to me. I was ready to abandon Audi in favor of BMW, and knew I was going to miss the community of people and the brotherhood and support that I've had so far being part of the Audi universe. That also meant that I wouldn't be buying another car from Tom, who had sold me my S4 and who is a really, really cool guy, very into the cars, and took care of me on the deal. Now I have a chance to get back into the Porsche/Audi community, reap the benefits of that community, and continue to give an honest salesman my business. Oh, and there's also the chance to own a really sweet car. ;-) We'll see what the test drive brings...

Zaid
Old 11-23-2001, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What state are you in?

I've been on the list here in NJ since January... my spot is coming up soon, but I have no intention of buying one
Old 11-23-2001, 12:41 PM

Norcal
Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here in Colorado there are no more waiting lists...

Jan build....
Feb-March deliver...
At least this was what I was offered at Murray Motors?
Old 11-23-2001, 01:45 PM

Default Believe it or not, there is 1 decent Bay Area BMW Dealer

Check out East Bay BMW down in Pleasanton. I have an M5 incoming in mid December @ MSRP. When I asked about M3's back when I placed my M5 order, I was told 18-24 months but at least they were selling at MSRP too. I saw my car salesman at the SF Auto Show yesterday (I did all the M5 transactions over email) and asked again about the M3 availability. It's down to a year or maybe less since quite a few buyers cancelled orders after 9/11 and the slowdown in the economy. If you decide to check them out, give Dan Tye a call. He's a pretty good guy.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:16 PM

Default I talked to East Bay already

They and Allison (my current dealer) are both part of Autonation, but you're right, Easy Bay does sell the cars at MSRP.

But a year is too long to wait!! ;-) I have an appointment with my Porsche sales guy next week. They've got 2002 996 C2's in build that can be spec'ed. I can get one within 2 months! Woohoo!

Zaid
Old 11-23-2001, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats about what I was told at Sandia BMW here in New Mexico.

Jan production and a late Febuary delivery. They said they can take up to 10 orders.
Old 11-23-2001, 02:27 PM

Default Umm... I just called them too (can you say "obsessed"?)

and they said it was 1.5 years out. The sales manager, Greg, said that if anyone says that they know exactly when the cars are coming in, they're blowing smoke.

Zaid
Old 11-23-2001, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sandia told you 1.5 years?
Old 11-23-2001, 03:16 PM

Default Yep, somewhere between 1 to 1.5 years.

In any case, certainly not February delivery.

Zaid

Quick Reply: mmm... I knew it was too good to be true (Or: Why you can't trust a BMW dealer)