S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Modified Borla impression follow up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified Borla impression follow up...

So it's been heard/tested by me both from inside & outside of the S of my modified Borla.

To remind you what my modified borla is...it is a STOCK Borla with muffler replaced by straight pipe.

I had resonator replaced by straight pipe first, then had it put back in and took the muffler out. When resonator was out, awww, lord, apart from the drone btwn 1800-3000rpm, Borla sounds ALMIGHT! (yes, that's the word to describe it because if you drive next to my car, you do not wanna mess with it unless you are so confident).

So, after I had my muffler replaced...I had been driving/hearing the Borla merely from INSIDE the cabin. OUCH....TOO QUIET!!!!! (sounds like a stock Borla, REALLY) It sound to me...like...hmm....WUSSY WUSSY!!!

But, just about 40 min ago, I was making fun of my own exhaust in front of my friend, and had him go rev it (wanted to hear from outside), I was impressed~~~ It sounds pretty damn good from outside/behind. Just that the inside is a totally different experience.

So, now comes to a hard decision: VM3 or Borla? I know VM3 sounds even deeper and more agressive inside..but borla does sound GOOD from outside...

what's your take??
Old 04-24-2002, 02:37 PM

Default did you do the modification yourself?

how hard was it and how long did it take you?
Old 04-24-2002, 02:53 PM

Default didn't do it myself..muffler shop did it...

about 30-45 min to replace resonator with straight pipe. That includes cut the resonator, cut pipe to fit, weld it back...

same goes for muffler...

not hard at all

$30 a job

i spent $80 a package job.LOL
Old 04-24-2002, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I say keep the Borla and put the $$ elsewhere...

I had a friend drive by at WOT in my car...

I t sounds low key from inside, but from outside the Borla and EVO combine to make an incredible sound!
Old 04-24-2002, 03:03 PM

who wants to buy my VM3 then? :-D ($710+shipping)
Old 04-24-2002, 03:15 PM

Default do you feel any positive gain w/ the EVO you have??

too many ppl here been talking about how it hurts the performance or at least no gain...blahblah...

but ones that have it don't say anything to counter that...

mind share the story/experience a bit??

i know intake sounds alot like a BOVs... (as in my friend's GTI)
Old 04-24-2002, 06:04 PM

Default keep the borla...

Its nice to have it quiet in the cabin, but still know people outside can hear it. And when u wonna hear it, all u gotta do is open the window
Old 04-25-2002, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You know...I don't want to start a war - - - - ->

I am never going to track the car, nor will I ever dyno it. It is me daily driver.

I feel a difference. Can't absolutely say it is creating more hp but here is my impression, and it's positive.

I installed the Borla on Thursday, and had a few days get a feel for it. The EVO went in on Saturday.

First, it has a unique sound. Not what I thought it would be. I expected the roar I used to get with velocity stacks on side draft carbs or when I modified the air box on my GTi. This a rush of air when you accelerate.

Second, there seems to be more power up past 5000 rpm. And the entire rpm range has better throttle response. Touch and go..

Third, the free breathing intake makes the rpm range more effortless. In the past, it was laborious to drive at a steady 4000 rpm. I would shift before that point. The most comfortable rpm was around 3000 and my most common shift point was just past there. Now my 'sweet spot' seems to be around 4000 and shifts are around 4500 - 5500 with no effort. Shifts are smoother and there is more available power.

If I lost a few hp due to warm air so be it. I like what I gained in drivability and enjoyment and it is a worthwile trade-off. I highly recommend the combo.

Plus, I had some questions on installing the EVO intake and EvoMS was fantastic at getting me a manual and answering questions. Even more impressive when you consider that I bought it second hand and they didn't have to help the way they have. Thanks EvoMS and PapaSmurf! (this was the intake and exhaust on PapaSmurf's monster runs)

Hope this helps!