S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Motor rebuild, now complete. Now audi has discovered the passenger side turbo is DAMAGED

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor rebuild, now complete. Now audi has discovered the passenger side turbo is DAMAGED

The saga that has become my worst nightmare, just keeps getting better.

Ok... Audi called me to tell me that the motor work has been completed. For those of you who are just now joining this story please see for full update

https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/988787.phtml

So now they have determined that the passenger side turbo could 'possibly' be damaged, either by the following

1- when the heads blew it could have sucked a fragment of metal into the turbo housing causing damage to the turbo blades

< OR >

2- My BOV's isnt allowing the air from the turbo release so therefore its damaging the turbo

My opinion is that #2 is total CRAP since isnt is a coincidence that they discovered this right when my heads blew??

So today they are going to take the turbo out, put a bore scope in it to see if there is any damage to the blades caused by flying pieces of metal from a damaged valve. If they determine that the blades were damaged then they are going to replace both turbo's with NEW ones. If not then i get stuck with the repair cost. Not Good..

Still awaiting the final outcome.. will keep posing !!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:12 AM

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-17-2002, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sorry to hear that. The problem is that...

It is sometimes hard to tell what the problem really was and the source of the failure is determined by the people with financial interest not to pay.

The way it should be is... The turbo may have failed because:

1- when the heads blew it could have sucked a fragment of metal into the turbo housing causing damage to the turbo blades

2- My BOV's isnt allowing the air from the turbo release so therefore its damaging the turbo

3- Thinner oil supply lines in 2K turbos.

4- Something else we could not find.

The aftermarket part should not be a catch-all for all the problems. They should show exactly why the part caused the turbo failure.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

good feedback Spider..
Old 10-17-2002, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just a rough estimate on my total repairs to-date if i was to pay out of pocket for repairs.........

THANK GOD everything so far is covered under warranty.. Plus i have an additional 3 year extended warranty on the car..

With rebuilding the motor, parts, labor and time

rough estimate is around $8500-9200

Now if the turbo's need to be replaced then thats going to be $3k or more added on..
Old 10-17-2002, 07:16 AM

Default You should tell the dealer to F off and...

Id also have the car checked by an independant mechanic on their lot before you drive off...Compression test/leakdown/visual inspection/vag testing etc! They whacked your engine out due to incompetance and they want to still play games what a bunch of A$$holes!
Old 10-17-2002, 07:20 AM

why didn't you try to get AUDI to just give you a new motor--seems to me it would have been cheaper
Old 10-17-2002, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Turbos are covered by Federal Emisions laws for 7/72? No?
Old 10-17-2002, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I thought, in general, BOVs would allow the air to escape faster than stock diaphragm vavles

may be just a brain fart
Old 10-17-2002, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

at this point they are saying anything to cover their ***..

Quick Reply: Motor rebuild, now complete. Now audi has discovered the passenger side turbo is DAMAGED