S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Moving to the D.C. area by the end of the month

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2001, 07:04 AM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to the D.C. area by the end of the month

Yep - no more Texas weather for this S4 driver. Got bit by the economy and was laid off last month. Spent some time interviewing, and recently accepted an offer from a firm in D.C. Couldn't get anything in Austin or elsewhere in Texas, so I had to broaden my search. I'll most likely live in VA and take the train in each morning (I'll miss my rush hour drives...). Any tips for S4 driving in Virginia? I know that radar detectors are illegal there - any way around that rule?

Guess I have to resign from the Austin club now, even though I never made it to a meeting - sorry fellas, but I never had the time (due to work), and then I had to fly all over the place interviewing. I would have liked to join you for a drive through the Hill Country, but alas, we don't choose our fate apparently.

Anyway, VA S4 owners - speak up. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2001, 07:18 AM

Default Welcome to DC! You can join our dcAudi club, along with Potomac Quattro Club...

Be seeing you at the KK Runs
Old 11-14-2001, 07:24 AM

Default The big question - snow tires

We don't get very much snow in the DC area, but it can vary - some winters we get none, some we get a few deep snows. Usually there are some nasty icy days as well.

So, if you're planning to use your S4 all year, you'll need to invest in some snow tires. I went with Michelin Pilot Alpins. These aren't as grippy in snow as some others, but given that 95% of my winter driving is on dry roads, I decided they offered a good compromise between dry and wet performance.

Welcome to the area - it's a nice place to live.

Jesse
Old 11-14-2001, 07:53 AM

Default No Way! I really dont think snows are needed in DC... maybe an hour North...

DC gets up to 6 inches of snow... and it lasts about a week... I dont think you need snows in DC/VA unless you live in the boonies on a dirt road and you go sking all the time.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default If he actually meant snows, you're right, but you really should have winter tires in this area.

Sure, we don't get much snow, but we do get ice and slush often enough in the winter.

Heck, even unfrozen rain can do bad things to your stopping distance if your summer tires have that nice plastic consistency they get in colder weather.
Old 11-14-2001, 08:27 AM

Lol, Im glad I have those spiffy P6000s on mine Not!
Old 11-14-2001, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome! Here's a link...

to the PCR-QCUSA website. Feel free to email me if you have any questions!<ul><li><a href="http://www.quattroclubusa.org/r/potomac/">http://www.quattroclubusa.org/r/potomac/</a</li></ul>
Old 11-14-2001, 09:47 AM

Default Who are you going to work for? I just left the DC are thatnk God!

You'll learn to hate it and then realize you spend your life earnings to live. Oh and by the way, you won't need snows, you'll need chains. The ice storms in VA are just the greatest. Wait till you have deal with people who think they can drive and watch stuff falling from the sky at the sametime, not good. And a couple more things. Property tax on the Audi is going to hurt. Mine was 1200 the first year and that was with the discount. Too bad that discount is not going to pass, they are running out of money. And you just decided to move to the 1st or 2nd most likely area to get by a terroist attack.

I lived there for 24 years of the 30 I have been alive so let me know if you want to know where to live and where to go and what to do. I have got it all.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2001, 10:54 AM
Rest In Peace

Default What do you mean by "property tax on the Audi?"

Please explain.
Old 11-14-2001, 11:30 AM

Default Hmm, big tip - Don't get caught speeding in this area! ;-)

Especially in Fairfax county... And if you're goin 20+mph, you get a misdemeanor :-/(reckless driving). Not a pretty sight ;-)

Quick Reply: Moving to the D.C. area by the end of the month