S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Moving violation for failure to obey a highway sign. 3 pts and $84!! Arlington, VA...should I go

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving violation for failure to obey a highway sign. 3 pts and $84!! Arlington, VA...should I go

to court? Apparently turning left between the hours of 4-6pm warrants three officers time. I would plan to plead guilty in court. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a reduced fine by doing this. Any tips?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there a sign saying "no left turn"? If no sign, fight it!
Old 06-28-2004, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh yeah, there's a sign. I was guilty, no question. Sometimes admitting guilt in court gets you

reduced fines though - at least in MD. I'm just wondering if it's worth my time.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

yes, you can get the points off.. at least in florida
Old 06-28-2004, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You may be able to take defensive driving and get the points off that way, too
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 PM

Default In most cases, a Florida attorney can do a hell of a lot more than just get the points off...

many times we can get it dismissed on motion for failure to cite the correct statute and or subsection, or other improper completion of the citation. However, in VA, the laws and how tickets are handled in court differ from Florida.

You may want to hire an attorney or at least have an attorney review the ticket to determine whether or not you have a basis for dismissal of the ticket. If not, then you should go to Court and speak with the Prosecutor and negotiate a higher fine for no points and no conviction. That way you do not have to pay surcharges, and if there is no conviction, you insurance premiums will not increase upon renewal.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cool..never had to try..friend got points off by showing up and taking the agressive driver course
Old 06-28-2004, 02:20 PM

Default The only problem with electing to take driving school in Florida is for the reason...

that they neglect to tell you that the insurance companies can see when you elect to take driving school. Therefore, although you do not get the points and do not get surcharged, when you renew your policy the insurance company will see that you had elected to take driving school to remove points, and then they may increase your policy up to 30%. Furthermore, in many counties, you have to pay the ticket, then pay the county to elect to take driving school, then pay the driving school, then issue the certificate... that is a buttload of work when you can drop it off in an attorney's lap and say take care of it.

Additionally, you can only take driving school 5 times in your life and 1 time per year. I believe that driving school is best suited where you get pulled over in an active school zone doing three times the speed limit and or construction zone with workers present doing 20 over. The reason for this is because any magistrate in the South Florida counties will hammer you. Additionally, if you are doing over 30 the speed limit in the northern counties. Otherwise, I would hire an attorney to represent you in Court.

Hope that helps for any future issues.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The class he took is different than the one you can take 5 times..it's for agressive drivers...

he couldn't take the other one becase he had already elected it within 12 months. I will get an atty. to do it in the future though thanks.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:29 PM

Default np... yeah, agressive driving is forced by Court Order from the Magistrate or Judge now... 12 hours.

it sux

Quick Reply: Moving violation for failure to obey a highway sign. 3 pts and $84!! Arlington, VA...should I go