S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

MTM "two-stage boost" myth...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2000, 12:41 PM
KevinH

Default MTM "two-stage boost" myth...

I have heard a lot of people quoting a "two-stage" feel to the MTM chip from a previous post. I find this description to be inaccurate. Boost varies greatly due to what you are asking of the car to do. After driving 1600 miles with the MTM chip I feel there is definetly not a two stage feel, it just gives what you ask for. If you mash the pedal, full boost arrives quickly and acceleration stays linear, losing some of the initial punch in the upper rev ranges (hopefully an exhaust and air filter will free that up a little). I feel that what some maybe descrbing as "two-stage" is the fact that the throttle is a lot more sensitive to input variances than the stock set up. What you thought was full boost while rolling on the throttle wasn't, and when you mash it you still have some untapped torque to push you deeper in the saddle. I don't know if my MTM software maybe different version than what others have (doubt that), or the ECU has adapted differently, but I can confidently state that the power delivery in my car has only a single stage feel.
Old 02-16-2000, 01:16 PM
Another Drew

Default I'm guilty as charged about the two stage "boost" (long)

I don't remember if I referred to the kick you get as "boost." If I did, I didn't mean it to relate in any way to the boost that the turbos get. I meant it by kick/torque you feel at WOT throughout the rpm range. I happened to be lucky that Jim De Arras let me borrow his MTM for about two weeks. Warren **** also got a chance to drive my S4 while it had Jim's chip. All three of us have agreed that the MTM chip has a two stage shove in the back. The second stage however is nowhere near as big as the first when the turbo boost comes on.

That two-stage is not a bad thing. I like it. I miss it, as I currently own an APR chip. I just didn't get it because I'm not skilled enough of a driver to take advantage of it to it's full potential. It would take quite a bit of seat time at max lateral acceration of the tires at WOT for me to be able fully anticipate it and adjust accordingly.

If I was into straightaway acceleraction, MTM would be for ME. For track or autox, APR is easier to drive.

Drew
Old 02-16-2000, 01:28 PM
John

Default I believe the kick that you mention is more obvious in the lower RPM's since the MTM chip has huge..

amounts of torque in the lower RPM band. I got the LL-Tek exhaust put in and the power delivery is much smoother throughout the power band. Still waiting on their Stage 3 which should include a downpipe and maybe some free-flow cats. That should give you even more top-end HP, exactly what the car needs with the MTM chip running the puny stock turbos. If you are thinking about putting in an exhaust and/or downpipe down the road, you could go back to the MTM chip without worying about the strong power delivery in the lower RPM's - The two stage boost as you call it
Old 02-16-2000, 02:01 PM
RM

Default I totally agree with John.

I never noticed a two stage effect. My car was chipped with MTM for 1000 miles before I installed the LLtek exhaust. Exhaust system seemed to smooth power out and provide more high end(also agree it could use some more here).
Old 02-16-2000, 02:41 PM
Jim De Arras

Having also driven both APR, and MTM, I agree with Another Drew, there is a two step action to MTM
Old 02-16-2000, 02:50 PM
John

Default What do you guys mean by the two step action to MTM throughout the rpm range? Just wondering if I...

understand you correctly and why it happened to you and not me and others with the chip. Are you talking about the slight turbo lag that is more pronounced by the MTM chip maybe? I agree the car's trottle response is more sensitive and the boost is felt much more. Help me understand what you mean by two stage response - Maybe you could describe when (RPM/Trottle position) and how it happens
Old 02-16-2000, 03:35 PM
Warren Wang

Default Re: two stage kick

From either a standstill, or when you're already moving, if you floor the MTM chipped car, it rockets off with about the standard amount of turbo lag. A second after that, it gives you another little shove in the back. It's pretty easy to feel when you floor it.

Is it any faster than my APR chip? I don't know.

Warren
Old 02-17-2000, 05:12 AM
dh

Ive never noticed it, but you can drive in 6th at 30mph, now thats TORQUE !
Old 02-17-2000, 05:13 AM
KevinH

Default Very bizarre, I purposely tried to recreate that feeling with no success.

I just feel the boost build until its full on, no pause or spike at all. Maybe our throttles adapted differently. That's the only varaible I can think of.
Old 02-17-2000, 05:56 AM
Ben Broder

Default Did either of you use VAG to redo throttle adaptation?

Todd from AWE posted the procedure a few days ago.

Quick Reply: MTM "two-stage boost" myth...