S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Multiple codes: SAIS EGT

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple codes: SAIS EGT

I have a 2001 S4 and have been experiencing multiple problems with the secondary air system. recently replaced the SAIP and relay with the same codes popping up. I dont even know where to start. I have run diagnostic and 7 codes came up:
P1127
P1476
P1423
P1411
P1429
P0103
P1113

I have been to a mechanic who is saying i need new egts and o2's. I was thinking the combi valve may need to be replaced for the vacuum codes but dont have the tools to test pressure. Any help or suggestions are extremely appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish you would have posted days earlier. I could have shipped you combi(s), for freezle.

I'm to lazy to search for each of those codes though.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Please to be doing a search yourself

Please to be using: http://www.airbagnews.com/PDF/Fehler...%20english.pdf

Please to be posting here with results of search.

Please.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit - High Input. May be due to a low battery if
found with 17988 (P1580)

p1113: bank 1, sensor 1 too high

P1411 Secondary Air Injection System (B2) - Restricted Flow

P1423 Secondary Air Injection System (B1) - Flow too Low

P1476 EVAP Emission Control System L.D.P. - Malfunction/Insufficient Vacuum

p1127: long term fuel. fuel trim bank 1, sensor 1 too rich

1429: couldnt find exactly: most likely SAIS failure

Any suggestions would be great, Been dealing with these issues for some time, cant pinpoint the problem.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I would start diagnosing in this order:

1) SAI pump - available here - change, clear codes and see what comes back. If the SAI isn't functioning correctly is could be responsible for rich fule trims. If it is, great! If not, it needs replaced anyhow.

2) Clean MAF with MAF cleaner, reset codes. If codes persist then

3) o2 sensors - available here

That would be the most cost effective route, but I'd say your mechanic has pin-pointed the appropriate problems.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Alrightly

That last one P1429 is the SAIP failure code. But you said you just replaced it, is this correct? Maybe the connection wiring is making a poor connection? Can you feel the pump running on a cold start?

If you can feel/hear it running, maybe the valve that is controling the combi valves is shot, maybe the combi valves are stuck closed.

Akwardly you have more SAI codes then I do, and I removed my system...
Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just replaced the pump about a month ago, I can hear it run when the car is started, but still no vacuum and restricted flow. Leading me to think its a valve that is stuck, but no clue which one. I would like to get this solved asap because the car is running extremely poorly, when accelerating the tach jumps randomly between 1-2K rpms, making a pretty horrible sound. Also the car seems to be in limp mode half the time. Ive been searching the forums and the web to no avail. Any suggestions would be great, thanks again,
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

If your pump is still pumping, which I would hope it is after 1 month, check your system. Follow the hoses and look for kinks/tears/holes. You have restrictive flow which makes me think the pump isn't pumping properly, but a hole in the system would also throw flow measurements off.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The SAI system does not effect drivability at all. Well atleast outside of the first 45(ish) seconds on a cold start.

So if your having other issues like limp mode, look elsewhere.

Your codes would point to O2 sensors, and you head fears of EGTs. Maybe it is time to take a good look at the front O2 sensors. These are used to calculate SAI system "flow" to boot.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Would the O2's play a part in the vacuum / flow by regulating the airflow through the SAIS? If so that would make perfect sense. Ive checked the hoses coming in an out of the pump and all hoses around the area for leaks, but no luck. the code p1113: bank 1, sensor 1 too high, would that correlate to the o2 sensor on the right or left side? I had a code for the egts come up months ago, but went away after I cleared them. If it is the o2's to start with, would that have an affect on the drivability of the car / the mix too rich making the car idle weird? Thanks again for your help, I would of had to give my left kidney to my mechanic to get some of these suggestions.

Quick Reply: Multiple codes: SAIS EGT