S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My 1.8T Passat Whoops up on an S4

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1.8T Passat Whoops up on an S4

OK well at least I got you to look at my thread!

I was out test driving cars today and had opportunity to test drive a 2002 S4. The car is my personal favorite color (Santorin Blue is what y'all call it I think) with a light grey interior. About 24K on the car and it is Audi Assured.

OK so to the reasoning behind the title. The car felt fairly quick but not nearly as fast as I expected. Given the same temperature and weights my modded Passat could keep up with this car. It never pulled hard at all. When accelerating at full throttle the car jerked hard two different times around 5000rpm. Almost like one of the intake hoses popped a leak at high boost pressure. At first I thought my brother (who was driving at the time) had snapped off the throttle.

I'm sure S4s have the same diverter valve problems as Passats so I'd guess it could be the DVs leaking. My DV failed on the Passat and it caused a mild surging. Could this sudden jerking could be a failed DV? What problem does APR's Bi-pipe fix?

I have been on the track with S4s before and I know they can pass my Passat like it's tied to a tree. The mods on my Passat are an EFK, APR chip, Brullen exhaust, and a bunch of suspension stuff.

Some day I'd like to ride in a "real" S4.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Haha..

You definitely drove an S4 with something wrong with it or it just wasn't driven correctly.

I test drove a 2002 Jetta GLI (VR6) and was amazed by how slow it was. Well .. maybe not that it was slow, but after driving an S4, it just felt incredibly slow even though my passenger said it was quick?! I imagine a GLI is quick enough to keep up with your passat somewhat.
Old 11-16-2002, 05:57 PM

Default OK, my question is why was this one sooo slow? I know it shouldn't be this way.

My Passat will be going on the dyno soon to see if I am smoking crack. Looking at the #'s on the GLI it should be able to run with my Passat given it's transverse layout and (possibly) lighter weight. My Passat doesn't have any options on it so it could be close on the weight.

I don't think it's difficult to evaluate foot to the floor acceleration comparisons. I was in second gear and just floored it. Driving doesn't seem to have much to do with the comparison of the two cars in this case.

From the way you guys describe it and the seeing S4s on the road I know this one should be a hell of a lot faster. Any ideas on what the problem is? Is this a car to stay away from?
Old 11-16-2002, 06:16 PM

Default I also test drove or test sat in a few other rides

Right before the S4 I drove a new 1.8TMQS A4. Nice car but way lacking in power. I know I could chip it but really I'd just have a newer AWD version of my Passat. verdict=negative ghostrider

Sat in a 330Ci and my hair touches the ceiling. Not that I have a huge fro but I'm 6'5" and no I'm not in the circus. verdict=nagonnahappen

Sat in an E36 M3 and it is smaller than the 330Ci. Very cool car but I'm going to have to spend some time in the dryer before I'll fit. verdict=I'm freakishly tall

Sat in a G35 coupe and once again it is too small. The "Japaneseness" of it didn't excite me much either (no offense to anyone intended just a different style). verdict=small people get all the fun cars

Looked at a W8 Passat as well and it's too similar to my car. It also gives me more of an "old person" impression than my Passat. I don't know what it is but even a sport package car wouldn't do it for me. Maybe I'm hooked on turbos? verdict= too similar to my Passat and dissimilar to my taste
Old 11-16-2002, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

lol, freakishly tall!
Old 11-16-2002, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Two things...

1) The car had issues, so it wasn't making full power
2) The S4 is FAR smoother than your Passat. This makes it deceptively fast. The torque "curve" is even flatter than in the 1.8T. The lack of a surge makes the car feel slower than it is.

Combine these two factors, and I think you may have an answer.
Old 11-16-2002, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used to think my 1.8T A4 was fast too. Now when I get back in the A4 after...

driving the S, it feels as though someone has taken the turbo out of the A4 (stage 1, btw).
Old 11-16-2002, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True.. the s4

is really the most deceivingly fast car I have ever been in .. It gets you into trouble. Seems like I' am always up to 80 mph in third before i even realize how fast i went.
Old 11-16-2002, 11:58 PM

Default Yeah that's one thing I really liked, the 2.7 was more smooth than my 1.8

I just figured the 2.7 was going to be a lot faster. It was probably still faster than my Passat but not by much. My previous car was an Eclipse with about 250hp and I expected it to be more like that (albeit with more weight). Everyone I have talked to has said the S4s are crazy fast and I just didn't see it.

I'm wondering if this car has major problems or just some well known easy fixes that need to be done.
Old 11-17-2002, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd avoid the car for several reasons,

1. The weird jerking thing, even if it was nothing is going to worry you ALL the time because of the problems the S4 can have.
2. Even though its "Audi Assured" it sounds like you won't be happy unless you modify it->warranty probs. which given your initial worries about the health of the car, is gonna keep you awake at night.
3. It can't hurt to look around, the prices are stabilized somewhat but still going down a bit, so take your time and find the one your sure about.

The S4 when modded is deceptively fast, its a great car with just a few "tweaks". Stock its rather bland, but you'll be amazed when/if you mod it.

Quick Reply: My 1.8T Passat Whoops up on an S4