S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My ASP/WMS GT28 thread starts today, May 3, 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5280 Nogaro S4
LMAO!!! What is up with the STi coil pack...
Not sure.. the former owner installed it. It's not from a subaru Sti.. just an aftermarket brand of coil pack.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Used oem coilpacks used to be kinda hard to come by. Now they are 15 a piece shipped.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:40 PM

And an STi one works and fits.. Cause i have a hard time believeing that that is just a random company that sold aftermarket not subaru part that is pink with the same emblem.. I think its a paint job or sticker lol..

I think it like hidden horse power kinda like stickers!!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope it's legit. I was going to pick one up 5ish years ago when I thought I had a fau

And an STi one works and fits.. Cause i have a hard time believeing that that is just a random company that sold aftermarket not subaru part that is pink with the same emblem.. I think its a paint job or sticker lol..

Of coarse it was an O2 or an EGT sensor, I don't remember anymore. I almost had to say the "It adds 20 Hps" too.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

STI = Spark Transfer International. They're a US manufacturer of ignition products.

It's shown on page 33 of this product catalog:
http://www.karlynsti.com/2008%20Dire...%20Catalog.pdf
V6 2.7 LTR. (APB) Turbo
Direct Ignition Coil Unit (6 Required) 99-04 STI PN 11869

"<SMALL>Karlyn Industries is recognized as a leading manufacturer of Ignition Cable Sets for the automotive aftermarket and as an Original Equipment Supplier. The company manufactures and packages wire sets under different labels, including their own brand-name, "S.T.I." (Spark Transfer International). Karlyn's Engineering/Research Department is headed by Mr. Karl Bierdumpfel, a graduate engineer from Stevens Institute of Technology, in Hoboken, N.J. Karl listened to the market which begged for a high-quality ignition cable set line that was also cost effective. While other wire set assemblers were becoming totally automated at the expense of high quality detail, Karlyn Industries increased the hand work portion of its operation to allow for the intricacies that are desired on certain ignition cable sets. This resulted in a mass appeal of Karlyn/STI ignition wire sets which is why they are the fastest growing wire set line today. In 2004, Mr. Karl Bierdumpfel assumed the role as President of Karlyn Industries Inc.</SMALL>"
Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 AM

Interesting to know.. funy that the emblem looks just like the STi one tho and is in hot pink.. I mean not every one goes YES!! I want to do it in hot pink haha

So can anyone explain more about the GT28 turbo kit or setup?
Old 05-17-2009, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Interesting to know.. funy that the emblem looks just like the STi one tho and is in hot pink.. I mean not every one goes YES!! I want to do it in hot pink haha

So can anyone explain more about the GT28 turbo kit or setup?
Autospeed came out with their GT kit quite a few years ago. What is there to know? They fabbed custom manifolds and downpipes to fit the larger turbos. Bigger turbos can maintain more boost at higher air flow rates.

I'm going with ASP but there are tons of options for B5 S4's these days.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:51 PM

I was trying to search for the kits but didnt have much luck.. I also read that you have to do internal work and stuff to be able to support them..

What all is required?
Old 05-18-2009, 10:17 PM

Ok so if I bought an Autospeed kit.. What else would I need or do You recommend. I have a bone stock S4 right now.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some one correct me if I'm wrong. New rods to support the extra torque. Some people go with upgraded pistons, although not everyone. The pistons are a nice complex issue changing the compression ratio and or reducing mass. Upgraded valves and valve springs. I assume that every one who does this puts in new lifters too. Lots of people are also going with the 2.8 heads. The upgraded valves and valvesprings to raise the redline allowing you to take full advantage of the larger exhaust turbines, and better highflow potentials of the GTs.

Last edited by complacentsee; 05-19-2009 at 04:09 AM.

Quick Reply: My ASP/WMS GT28 thread starts today, May 3, 2009!