S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My Eibach Pro Street S CO semi-review

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Eibach Pro Street S CO semi-review

I had planned on posting a more formal review but haven't had time so here are some of my observations in case anyone is looking at them. Basically hopefully add (or help clarify) to the information that B5QShip & Ryan have already put out there.

Note that I'm coming from Stasis StreetSports and I made the change because I felt that the StreetSports were too bouncy and weren't that much of an improvement (Short of making the car look better) over stock.

The Eibach package comes with a KW (monotube) shock and linear (as far as I can tell...although some have pointed out that they are actually progressive...who knows??) springs. After installing I immediately noticed the car felt much tighter and you could notice a slight increase in road bumps. I should note that I've very sensitive to comfort since I don't track my car and use it as a daily driver.

Decreased Body Roll was the largest improvement I noticed...I would say it was 3-4 times more noticeable than the Koni setup over Stock. Car sits flat...more neutral through corners.

Turn in is hard for me to comment on because I have damanged control arm boots and tie rod ends that I discovered while installing. Hope to get that fixed soon. I can say that the car is much more predictable and controllable at low or high speeds with the eibach setup.

Shortly after installing the suspension I drove the car 6hrs to Road Atlanta with my wife who is not afraid to tell me what she thinks about the so called 'improvements' on my car. She made a few comments about it being much rougher than before and I have to agree that on bad roads (A lot in NC) the monotube shock design is MUCH quicker to respond which in turn makes the car more sensitive to large bumps in the road. Particularly when you're on the highway and you drive over a bridge where they paved the road before and after the bridge but not the bridge and the road drops off abruptly. The car quickly drops but there is no bounce at all like before with the Streetsports...the car is stopped and the passengers feels the change much more. Its not a jolt or jarring feeling simply an quick drop of the car. I can overlook this because of the improvement in handling and to me its much more acceptable than bouncy all around.

One thing the streetsports did that I absolutely hated was bounce on large dips in the road. There is a dip in the road that is quite significant and I drive over this every day on the way to work. I took the car with Eibachs over this dip and it was amazing the difference. The Eibach suspension stops the car basically on the way down where the Koni suspension would let the car bounce back upwards then catch it sometimes on the way down and in some cases (depending on speed) on the way back up the second time.

Build quality of the KW shocks is good however there is a plastic top to the shock body that concerned me. I couldn't tell if it was just a protector but to me it looked like the top seal of the shock body. This may be why the 12mo warranty is imposed on this setup but I can be sure this is the case. The plastic spring perch is actually a nice design (short of the locking screw) and it makes it easier to adjust. I didn't measure weights but the Eibach's did seem to weight noticibly less than the Koni's (Especially in the front). I would say probably because of a smaller spring coil (Koni's are Progressive in the front) and the use of plastic on the Eibach's.

I had reading that B5QShip thought that the springs were NOT as stiff as what Ryan in his review but I would have to disagree with him and agree with Ryan. I think the springs are closer to 550-600 lbs given my experience with the Koni's. Although it could be deceiving given the damper differences Koni being TwinTube vs the Eibach/KW being MonoTube(I think)?

Now I haven't ridden in a Vogtland setup so I'm not sure how its different but for me if people are saying its stiffer than the Eibach then it would be too stiff for me.

Of course opinions vary but in my mind if your looking for a suspension that walks the line of performance/comfort than you should definitely consider the Eibach Pro Street S CO's. However if comfort is of utmost concern then the StreetSports do a great job with a bad side effect of being bouncy (Slight performance increase).

If you occasionally track your car the Eibachs are probably suitable enough but if you track it often you'll probably want to look into setup like the Vogtlands/TrackSports...etc

Oh and another thing I liked about the Eibachs was the price...I got them from Shox.com for $970 shipped.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 PM

Default can someone confirm/comment about streetsports being bouncy?

ive heard about this problem with their coils
Old 10-08-2006, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nice sem-review. That's close to how the Voglands felt - firm but too much for my daily driver.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Good write-up, Justin...

I've had the Eibach Pro Streets at the top of my list...your review has only solidified my choice as my next suspension.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Vogtlands were too firm to be your daily driver?

In which ways were they too firm?

How are the tracksports?