S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My first worth-posting kill story :-)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first worth-posting kill story :-)

Ok, those of you who know me know that I am not really one for "street racing" per se. That said, you get me in a situation where I feel safe (i.e., not obviously dangerous to myself or anyone else), along side a car I envy, and I'll row through the gears a little... afterall, whats the point in buying a "sports car" if you never have a little fun here and there.

Anyway, 2 nights ago I was cruising home listening to the radio when I pull up to a red light (for those of you familiar with Allentown, PA - it was the stop light at Walbert Avenue and Rt. 309; right near PJ's at the Walbert; I was going towards Rt.22, right where 309 becomes a freeway). As I was pulling to a stop, I glaced at the car already at the light - a newer looking, red Porsche 911 Carrera. I thought to myself, "hmm... this would be fun". Now I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about Porsches. I know that I would sure like one someday, but they are way beyond my means now, so I haven't really spent a lot of time researching them. Regardless, I figured this guy was going to walk from me... and that was if he even wanted to race (he wasn't revving his engine or any of that corny crap that every Acura RSX or VW VR6 GTI I ever pull up next to does).

So, the light turns green. For those of you unfamiliar with the area, this is the point where Rt. 309 becomes a real highway, with 2 lanes. It makes a very slight right-hand turn, and then has a straight away for about 6 miles (with another stop light dividing the run about a 1/2 mile up from where I am). We both accelerate kinda slowly around the turn. I don't know whether or not he's going to go or not, so I make some effort to stay in a low gear and next to him... I notice he is doing the same. We get around the turn and are both in 3rd gear.

I hear him punch it right after shifting to 3rd, and I react just about instantly upon hearing his engine. To my suprise, I start pulling ahead almost immediately. Not to say that I "walked" from him, not even close, but I felt very... I guess "comfortable" would be the word, with the rate that I was pulling from him. That is to say, from the first couple seconds of our little "race" until the end I didn't really have any doubt that my car was pulling ahead. There was no moment where I felt the tables were turning on me, or that we were neck-and-neck.

By the time I stopped accelerating (I noticed the next light was red and there were a few cars already stopped there), the nose of his car was probably at about my rear quarter panel. This was a quick "race" of sorts; I only got into 4th gear (not exactly sure of the speed, sorry). But I certainly had the feeling that my car was more powerful, and would have continued to pull ahead for some time longer if we had the room.

To add to the other guy's embarassment, when we stopped accelerating, I began to brake to come to a comfortable stop before the next light, and he spent a couple seconds more than he should have looking at my car, so when he noticed that there were a few cars stopped ahead he had to slam on the brakes and kind of turn towards to shoulder to avoid hitting them (although I don't think he really would have... I think it just started him).

As always, I tried to be as good of a sport as possible, and rolled my window down to compliment him on a beautiful Porsche (hell, just cause my car was a little faster doesn't mean I wouldn't trade it for his in a heartbeat). He said "thanks" and returned the compliment. We BS'ed about our cars for a couple seconds until the light turned green. He seemed glad to hear that mine wasn't stock (I am running the GIAC X chip). His was a 2001 Carrera (not an "S").

Anyway, that made my night and I just wanted to share the story with you.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Know the road well. Good story, got me ready to...

hunt for some "action" on my ride home from work.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

haha nicely done Ben !
Old 10-25-2005, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Musta been the suspension... :-)
Old 10-25-2005, 07:29 AM

street racers just kidding nice story!!
Old 10-25-2005, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stage II+ and you can walk on them...

Still a nice car (the p-car).
Old 10-25-2005, 07:56 AM

I placed an order for ALL of the orders I had pending, and the units are on their way here now :-)
Old 10-25-2005, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default awsome man

thanks
Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 AM

No prob :-)
Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default threadjack: is that your beagle in your picposter? he rocks!

i miss mine

Quick Reply: My first worth-posting kill story :-)