S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My overall "take" on the current tire bubble situation...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 05:16 AM
Jim De Arras

Default My overall "take" on the current tire bubble situation...

I think Audi and Bridgestone smell another Volvo class-action suit in the wind, and are trying to put it off while they figure out how to handle this.

I say this because the customer service folks for both companies seem "programmed" with a fixed, legally permitable, response. Audi (AOA, actually) disclaims the tires entirely, will not even make a list of complainers, and Bridgestone tells everyone this is the first they have heard of it, you must've damaged the tire, not covered, but if you go to a tire dealer, we will "give" you 50% off a replacement, "from the kindness of our heart". Bull****, if it were really my fault, they would cover NOTHING.

Meanwhile, I'm taking mine off, and waiting for the settlement that I am certian will come.
Old 02-19-2000, 06:33 AM
April

Default If you damaged the tire as they indicate......

It would show. No obvious damage to the sidewall ? Has to be defect - which I believe IS covered by Bridgstone.

Have you tried taking it to a good tireshop ? Get a written statement ?

April
Old 02-19-2000, 06:45 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Bridgestone themselves say ALL sidewall bubbles are the drivers fault, automatically.

As to taking it to another tire store, they, too, would have to call Bridgestone for authorization, and I am sure they will get the same, legally phrased to try and shed liability, response.

Besides, at this point, I simply don't want the crap on my car, I have no confidence that it will not happen again, on it's own, with perhaps more catastrophic results.

The 5 Sport Pilots should be here Monday!

If the 040's end up being a complete loss and AOA/Bridgestone get away with it, fine, my safety comes first, and _I_ believe them to be unsafe tires (NOT due to the snow issue, ONLY the bubble one). And my opinion, and experience, has the most effect on my decision.

I know others like them, and I truely pray that I am wrong for thier sakes and safety, but I must do what I can for my own safety.
Old 02-19-2000, 07:57 AM
Yellow S4 in N. VA.-TRB

Contacting NHTSA might be the right thing to do at this point.
Old 02-19-2000, 08:25 AM
jyoteen

Default Well at least someone got offered 50%...

The tire dealer that I went to would not even offer that. They claimed that the tires did not have road hazard warranty. If you accept that statement, then I should have been able to purchase said warranty when I bought the car.

Not being able to do so puts the customer in a precarious position. A catch 22 of sorts.

Jim, if AoA does contact you please let us know.
Old 02-19-2000, 09:39 AM
Steve S.

Default yeah...I talked to Eddie..and he said you ordered the Michelins

Are the Pilot Sports a winter tire?

Steve S.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:51 PM
Jim De Arras

No, Pilot Alpins are. I'm looking for a set of them, for 16x6 rim, too.