S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

my pc 680 had died after leaving the lights on and then parking it for over two months while i have

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my pc 680 had died after leaving the lights on and then parking it for over two months while i have

been slowly working on my ko4 instal. whats the best way to charge it back up? put the charger on low 12v?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I would only use a charger that specifically says AGM capable.

but that is just my 2 cents. They have a different charging routine than normal wet batteries.<ul><li><a href="http://www.odysseybatteries.com/charging.htm">from odyssesy site</a></li></ul>
Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yep slow charger, leave it on there over night and you should be good.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default TJ: Would you consider doing a write-up of your piggie pipe elect. dump build/install?

I'd love to do it, but I'd like to see how/where you put everything. I've seen the pics, but detailed explinations would be great. TIA
Old 06-22-2007, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ya man, im even thinking about selling the custom "t" section as well someday.

ill try to get something together with the pics i have here on my laptop.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That'd be great. I think you'd have quite a few takers..me for one. It's the best of both worlds

Legal cats and easy use dumps.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As homer says, a charger designed for AGM batteries is better.

However, a regular charger can be used. Unlike a normal lead-acid battery there is no limit to how much charge that the battery can take. What you need to be careful of is that the charger doesn't charge at a too-high voltage. From memory, that limit is around 15 VDC but do a search to get the exact figure and make sure your charged doesn't go over that limit. Some high powered charges will.

If the battery is completely flat then you might have trouble getting a regular charger to put out a charge. One of the high powered chargers might be more willing to provide a charge. The other way is to jump the AGM battery to a charged lead acid battery. The AGM will drain the lead acid battery very quickly (so use big cables). After a couple minutes of that then the battery will probably be willing to take a charge. You can also try jumping the two batteries to a charge and charge them both together. And if nothing works, then maybe your battery is dead.

I've completely killed an AGM battery. I charged it again and it was fine. But I didn't leave it dead for weeks.

:-)

Stephen
Old 06-24-2007, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

agreed but fwiw, I use a regular porsche charger on my 680
Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It works....

But Porsche's charger maintains the charge at a slightly lower voltage. What this means is that it will not keep the AGM battery fully charged.

It also might not be able to recover a completely dead AGM battery where a dedicated AGM charger might be able to do so.

But they do work.

Stephen
Old 06-24-2007, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

true, I only use mine to maintain the battery when the car sits for over a week

Quick Reply: my pc 680 had died after leaving the lights on and then parking it for over two months while i have