S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My Personal Camparision between the E46 M3 and S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Personal Camparision between the E46 M3 and S4

By saying I have the utmost respect for the S4 and the M3, as well as individuals who have made the decision to purchase both. I believe I am uniquely qualified to talk on the subject As having owned both the 2001 S4 and BMW E46 M3 the differences between both cars is staggering not only in price and power which this boarded primarily focuses on but in the actual manufacturing philosophy of each car. BMW I believe BMW Uses higher quality materials and during the manufacturing process as AUDI Has an overall better fit and finish of the vehicle. I owned the AUDI for a few months last year but thought it was a great car although I wasn't happy with the level of material within the car the plastics were substandard in comparison (leather was just OK, too thin) to the materials BMW uses the overall performance of the cars are also quite different The BMW I feel has a much better balance that translates into use your control the even without two extra wheels pulling the car into corners. I have driven the AUDI S4 On the racetrack and was very unhappy with the ability to put down power coming out of the apex of a turn the car seemed to plow offline and then all the sudden grab which made it difficult to plan for corners.

I made the purchasing decision to go with the BMW For a few basic reasons I do not like understeer where oversteer you can control this with the throttle And power sliding of corners is much more fun than just trying to put power down mid corner only to find out you have no grip. Being in the northeast of the united states winter is always a concern With snow tires in the very few daysless than 20 to 30 with actual snow on the ground that I have to drive through made the decision to go with the M3 easy. Just like any high performance vehicle you do not want to drive in the snow with stock tires.

The other primary reason that I went with BMW is for the normal engine. I have a lot more trust for the long term stability of the 3.2L engine versus the twin turbo of an S4. The resale value of the vehicles, Was also a concern I still see 1998 and 1999 BMW's going for 30K+ where you would be hard pressed To sell the 2000 or 2001 S4 for the same money.

I owned a number of vehicles and I'm sorry to say for my money BMW It was a better bet.

72 Dodge Duster, slant 6. Could not kill it until starter fell off
85 Toyota Celica, 3, 16 year old kids went though with only brake pads tires and gas
86 IROC Z Camaro..shoot me next time I buy American
92 Prelude. Good car
98 Nissan Maxima, Unbeatable for the money
98 BMW 540ia, awesome car great V8 power, not a very good track car
2001 Audi S4, Great car just felt wrong, skinny doors and cheap plastic for a 40K+ car
2002 Audi A6 2.7T, great car, just not old enough for a German Buick
2001 E46 M3, I smile every time I walk into the garage. 333 HP and raspy exhaust note.

As I stated before I enjoyed my S4 and have respect for everyone I see on the road I just prefer throttle controlled oversteer vs. uncontrollable understeer.

At the ¼ mile tack last week, I pulled a 13.803, 105mph but massive wheel hop on start (learn to feather clutch) and track was ice cold 40 degrees outside and it was dark 7pm at night backed all the way out of the gas half way down, car started the get sideways going into 3rd gear. Only did one run too scary to do it again, have to wait for warmer temps for tires. I should be able to take off .600 or more next time. What do S4 run stock? I know the whole chip argument vs. cost so don't go there. I'm taking stock vs. stock
Old 04-08-2002, 05:52 AM

Please keep us updated on the reliability of your new purchase.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Stability and reliability?!?!

I guess you'd like to check this out..

<a href="http://forums.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/forum.php?postid=374205&page=1">Click Here</a>
Old 04-08-2002, 06:09 AM

Default I'd agree with your points on driving dynamics...

but there is no way BMW materials are superior to Audi, especially inside. BMW uses hard, shiny plastics and leather that feels like carboard.

BUT, I have never sat in an M3, so I'm basing this opinion on the 330i, which is priced comparably to the S4, and the 5 vs. A6, 7 vs. A8, etc.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I believe he was talking about the seats..and that's the only difference between 3 series and M3....

if we talk about interior..but he paid another 10grand(at leat) to get a car with different leather seats.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:15 AM
adp

Default But there is no M3 Wagon - thus no comparison

Besides, if tracking the car is your sole purpose get a track car.. Otherwise I'll stick with my S4 wagon for winter and 996 for summer driving.. I have found BMW dealerships to be worse than Audi dealers for Arrogance, ignorance, and annoyance.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

O man. At least the Audi engines are holding up well.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: I'd agree with your points on driving dynamics...

Right. Audi materials inside are much better, fit and finish too.
Old 04-08-2002, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yikes!

Quick Reply: My Personal Camparision between the E46 M3 and S4