S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

My Quattro Conclusions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 06:22 AM
Justin

Default Depends... (link inside)

... sure, quattro is not going to give you the stellar 60' times of the fully mechanical AWD systems, but it's not meant to do that.

Truly, it is meant to be a handling modification, not a straightline modification. It is also to save the lives of idiots talking on their cell phones as they speed down their commute's twisties on a snowy, winter day.

It's not quattro's fault... it just sounds like you didn't do your research before buying the car. If you had, it would have been very clear that this was not the type of AWD system you wanted... it's no big secret.

Take a look at this: <a href="http://www.eskimo.com/~eliot/awd.html">Intro. to AWD</a>

Justin
Old 02-08-2000, 06:23 AM
dh

As in - wheel spin yes, but not constantly on one wheel it should move the spin around
Old 02-08-2000, 06:25 AM
dh

Its got an open rear diff So "missing" torsen dif/visous coupling or like etc etc
Old 02-08-2000, 06:57 AM
Todd W

So go buy the EVO 6.
Old 02-08-2000, 07:16 AM
Bill D

Default You are right...but

A lot of these people just don't want to admit that we don't have the best 4wd system on the planet...but it is true...not only is quattro not that advanced....it just ain't that great....

but there is a solution...of course money is involved...from day one I've planned on putting a LSD in the rear end...Now..I don't even know if one is available....Ivor at TAP said yes...but I haven't asked anyone else....

I'll see how that works out and than upgrade the front diff if possible...
Old 02-08-2000, 07:34 AM
Andy Hedin

Default SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle (i.e., Ford Explorer, Land Rover Discovery, etc) (nt)

nt
Old 02-08-2000, 07:37 AM
Bob

Default Re:

You will regret changing the front diff and most likely the rear too. This has already been discussed on this forum. The reason that your S4 feels so good on pavement is because of the 2 open diffs. The reason that the new BMW X5 and MB ML430 get high praises on road feel is because they have 3 open diffs and EDL. Remember you are not building an SUV with your A4.

Bob
96 A4QM
86 4KCSQM
Old 02-08-2000, 07:38 AM
mm

Default Quattro is not perfect...

...it has limitations specific to the manner in which it is designed to function. However, with all due respect, it also appears from a number of your posts below that you do not have a good grasp on how exactly it does and does not function, what its limitations in fact are, and in what situations they may or may not be problematic.

There is no such thing as a perfect AWD system, and there never will be. But I would suggest that you might benefit more from researching and attempting to really understand Quattro than you will from bad mouthing it from an uninformed perspective. If you want to criticize Quattro, why not make it constructive, informed criticism? Do some research from which to test and base your conclusions. I suspect that if you do so, you will find that some of your concerns are in some ways valid, and others not.

I would suggest that you read the AWD FAQs on this site and search the archives using AWD, Quattro, EDL, differential, traction control, Torsen, etc. as keywords. There is a lot of good information here if you are willing to look for it. Make the effort to educate yourself a little, and then we can all discuss the issue of Quattro and AWD intelligently. I think you'll find that while Quattro is not perfect, it is a fairly good and competent AWD system to its intended purpose and application.

Peace!
Old 02-08-2000, 07:50 AM
Bob

Default Do you understand the compromise? EDL, Torsen - design parameters and ignorance

The S4 is meant to drive like a sports car on dry and some wet pavement. Open diffs give you much better road feel. On dry pavement (and some wet), 3 open diffs would work just fine since torque would be evenly spread out (as with the UrQ). The Torsen center improves performance quite a bit without jeopardizing feel. Keep in mind though the any LSD (Torsen or Quaife) must maintain a load bias ratio or it will function just like an open diff. That means that the slippery axle must have 1/4 or the grip available as the grippy side, or else. This is where EDL comes in. EDL has almost an infinite load bias ratio as opposed to 3:1 or 4:1 for Torsen and most LSDs. It does not require any grip on the slippery side. The EDL is only a low speed (25 mph or 40 mph) traction control aid for the open diffs. It does not lock, simulate lock, either statically or dynamically.

BTW, have you driven the EVO 6. I have. It's nowhere near as smooth as the S4, nor does it have the road feel. The LSDs bind characteristics vary and are unpredictable.

Remember, every system has it's pluses and minuses. It is unfair to say, that Q4 is the best or EVO 6 is the best. You must understand what the design parameters are before buying your S4. Your ignorance is not Audi's fault.

Bob
Old 02-08-2000, 07:56 AM
Bob

See my post above about your EVO 6

Quick Reply: My Quattro Conclusions