S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Mystery Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Sensor

So I'm putting my car back together and stumble over this sensor that I've never seen before and don't remember removing. The wire harness is still clipped into the sensor, leading me to believe that I accidentally tore the whole thing out without realizing it - now I don't know where it goes.

It is on the same wire as the vehicle speed sensor that clips to the transmission, it just forks off. It has one of those silver heat shield wraps on it, leading me to believe it goes somewhere near the turbos or downpipe. Can someone identify this thing? I unclipped it so I could snap some photos - Pics below:

Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by donromani
So I'm putting my car back together and stumble over this sensor that I've never seen before and don't remember removing. The wire harness is still clipped into the sensor, leading me to believe that I accidentally tore the whole thing out without realizing it - now I don't know where it goes.

It is on the same wire as the vehicle speed sensor that clips to the transmission, it just forks off. It has one of those silver heat shield wraps on it, leading me to believe it goes somewhere near the turbos or downpipe. Can someone identify this thing? I unclipped it so I could snap some photos - Pics below:

it could be for the reverse lights. it should also connect to the gearbox
Old 10-09-2009, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That was my best guess after reading the Bentley guide for removing the tranny, but it doesn't indicate where it goes.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh man, never seen that one before. Any part # on that thing you can read off and search the web? Anyway, if it was tranny, wouldn't you have a gaping hole somewhere in there that this thing would fit in ?
Old 10-09-2009, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by thejulex
Oh man, never seen that one before. Any part # on that thing you can read off and search the web? Anyway, if it was tranny, wouldn't you have a gaping hole somewhere in there that this thing would fit in ?
That's what I thought, but when I started looking I noticed there are gaping holes EVERYWHERE on the tranny - there's a big one where the starter sits, a few that let you see the gears on the flywheel, but none that fit this sensor.

I think FAW is right about it being the reverse light sensor, but even Bentley makes little mention of it, and when it does it is vague...Damn it. Oh well, if it is the RLS then it won't keep the car from starting and I can take it to the shop and let them figure it out (I'm doing this anyway to have some pro's double check my work)
Old 10-09-2009, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm, is that even a sensor.

It looks suspiciously like it might be some kind of heater judging on the coiled wire and heat tubing.

Can you search Bentley for gage/wire colors the plug for it supplies?
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default ARRRRG

Lol, man I have the worst luck....I got under the car and looked around on top of the transmission (using a mirror - very resourceful, I know) and I thought I found a hole where the damn thing belonged.

I stuck the sensor in, it seemed to fit so I press a little harder to get it to seat fully - POP! The whole thing disappears into the hole.

The sensor is now sitting somewhere on top of the flywheel or pressure plate - the engine and tranny will need to be separated to get it out...

Of course, I'm not going to bother with this. I'm just going to start it up and let the flywheel grind it up...
Old 10-11-2009, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Man, this sucks... Good luck, I hope it doesn't get tangled into throw out bearing or pressure plate splines.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't konw if I would grind that up. But thats me.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I don't konw if I would grind that up. But thats me.
Not to worry, I won't be driving the car out of the garage anytime soon. I hooked it up, got everything ready for a trial start - the starter and flywheel are misaligned.

I'm going to put everything back together and have AAA tow it to my guys up the street. I gave it my best shot, but I need to hand it off to someone who actually knows what they are doing at this point.

Quick Reply: Mystery Sensor