S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Nav users: found out something fun that I don't believe is in the manuals. . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-1999, 11:48 AM
S4andy

Default Nav users: found out something fun that I don't believe is in the manuals. . .

I've always wished that the regular computer display (you know, temp and mpg, etc.) could be viewed while using the Nav. Turns out, it can!

Once you've got the Nav on and running, just briefly press the reset button on the bottom of the wiper switch arm. Usually this would switch between display off and display on. When the Nav is running this switches between display off, computer display on, and Nav display on. In addition, when the computer display is on, although the keys on the Nav control seem to be totally inactivated, the voice will still come on to tell you to turn right, etc.

If this is well know already, then sorry I wasted your time, but I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned before.

Sandy
'00 S4 Finding more and more ways to have fun with this car.
Old 12-08-1999, 11:59 AM
Tommy T

Default Just discovered this myself last week. Neat. By the way the girl keeps talking to you even if the..

,,,nav display isn't active at the time. So you can be checking your average mileage when you hear "please take the next exit". You won't miss any prompts.

Tommy T
00 S4 silver/onyx/silken-voiced nav lady
Old 12-08-1999, 12:29 PM
Jason H

Cool, I'm picking up my cd from Fedex on the way home, I'll give it a try.
Old 12-08-1999, 12:32 PM
CV

Any more on muti-disc routing?
Old 12-08-1999, 02:56 PM
AvramD

Default Yes, there is none. You just can't do it.

Basically, there is nothing in the system at all to facilitate the process, and any notions you may have of just doing it manually are pretty damned near impossible.

You'd have to sit there with a map, guessing where the CD's border is, and trying to find a town that's on the highway you want to use to cross said border, dialing it into your CD, to see if it's there, then try the next one farther away, etc, until you find one you think is pretty close to the border. Then you navigate there, get out, change the CD, and have it say "off map" until you finally do cross the border.

You'll have to do this once for every road that you intend to cross a CD's border on. It's just not even close to being worth it.

And if you live near a CD border, and expect to be crossing it regularly, I'd have to recommend just not getting this system at all.
Old 12-09-1999, 04:25 AM
CV

Default Bummer!

I wonder if that is true of other systems. That seems like a flagrant oversight to me. I get my car this weekend so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but it seems to me that the NAV system would, make that should, be most useful when you are travelling far from home.
Old 12-09-1999, 04:33 AM
CV

Default Re: Bummer!

PS Thanx for the response. Hope that didn't seem like I shooting the messenger.
Old 12-09-1999, 04:48 AM
Jim De Arras

Default Re: Bummer!

I would like "seamless" nationwide coverage, too, but I think NAV is most useful at the destination area, rather than for the trip there. I can figure out how to get to Chicago on my own, without maps, even, for example, but getting to my wife's cousin's house once I'm there is a real challange.

That is to say, I find it more useful, so far, in "complex" driving areas, rather than open interstates.
Old 12-09-1999, 05:06 AM
CV

Default True....

Good point. It would also be useful to side step construction and traffic congestion on trips however.