S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Help. Got hit by an uninsured driver.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yup, nearly 1/6 in Mass. aren't insured. Highest in the country. Makes me nervous every time

I get on the highway.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:45 PM

Default Thanks for that tidbit! NOT! Really? What do you recommend someone should do if they are hit by an

uninsured driver?
Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Damn Reg, sorry to hear that.

might go the GX auto or TheoDavies. maybe i should just get a new bumper while I'm at it. any sugesstions?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, I'm not an insurance lawyer, so this is layman's advice, but...

The first thing I would do is get the police involved. That isn't necessarily an easy thing to do if nobody is injured. I got hit by a drunk driver in boston in December and the police refused to come to the scene because no one was injured, even though the girl's car was clearly totalled and mine had over $10k in damage.

Anyway, I would make sure that the police document everything they can about this uninsured motorist. I would also ask for backup forms of identification as well as car ownership information. The worst thing that can happen is that you get a fake ID and then have no one to even blame. Your own insurance company will be skeptical then.

You also want to notify your own insurance company ASAP and get a claim started. Let them do the dirty work for you.

Another thing I would even consider is following the person home to make sure they live where they say they did.

All of this, of course, assumes that you are not at fault yourself and don't want to take care of it off the books, which may or may not violate your own insurance policy. Personally, I wouldn't even consider that with an uninsured motorist because they can screw you later and you'll be stuck with the repair bill all yourself.

Lastly, I would consider having the person arrested. I am pretty sure, but not positive, that driving without insurance is a misdemeanor in Massachusetts. If some jerk did this and caused an accident which damages my property, I'd want them to at least have a criminal record for it. Let their mistake haunt them for a little while.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:04 PM

Default Thanks. I remember when you had your accident back in December. Did you ever do

anything against the woman?
Old 04-08-2002, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope.

Apparently, I had written up my report really well, accusing the girl of being both intoxicated and on psychotropic medication while driving a vehicle. My agent said that as soon as her insurance company read my report, they basically caved immediately and agreed to a "No Fault" settlement. The result is that neither driver is found to be greater than 50% at fault, so that doesn't go on my record. The cost of the accident is split 50/50 between the two companies (which sucks for them because her 1991 Nissan 240SX couldn't have been worth more than $2000 with some gold in the trunk, and my car had well over $10k in repairs), and neither of us had to pay our deductible. So, aside from about $100 in rental charges for exceeding the $30/day limit on the rental car, this accident didn't cost me anything financially (unless you count the 3 lease payments I made while the car was in the shop).

Having faced the initial prospect of having to pay my deductible and significantly increased premiums if I was found to be at fault, I considered myself lucky to have this resolution. Furthermore, I am still convinced that this girl knows somebody that matters, be it a cop or local politician or whatever. So, I didn't see any benefit to pursuing the matter. I could only cause more trouble for myself.
Old 04-08-2002, 02:14 PM
Elder Member

Most states do not do much if you do not have insurance
Old 04-08-2002, 02:18 PM

Good to hear that things were settled though. Thanks...
Old 04-08-2002, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Need Help. Got hit by an uninsured driver.

IN Minnesota it goes like this. What I tell customers that have been hit by uninsured is the easiest and less headache involved way is to go thru your insurance. It kind of sucks because you will have to pay the deductible, I dont know of any place that would let you slide on that. Your insurance at that point will go after the other person to obtain restitution for what they had do give out and at the same time will recover your deductible. Thats not to say in every case will the person get it back, but your chances are far greater with them putting the heat on as opposed to yourself. I work at a VW bodyshop and deal with this all the time. Believe me its usually the way to go if you can afford the deductible. Sorry to hear of the accident.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:40 AM
Pat
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wish I were in your shoes.

Depending on the other driver's financial situation, you may actually come out ahead. If no one knows about this yet (insurance or police), you could make the other person pay for it and then some. It may be in the other person's best interest to strike a deal with you to avoid the authorities. See what the other driver is willing to give you to keep it away from the cops or insurance company.