S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

need help on launching S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on launching S4

please keep in mind i'm still a beginner at stick so the more detailed an explanation, the better. i tried some launching last night but 2 out of the 4 times the car would just make a clunking sound and not move. also, the other times that i did launch the car, it seemed to hesitate a little. aren't awd cars supposed to jump out? *shrug*

oh, and once the car is flying out, how do u shift through gears without out that slight clunk? am i supposed to release the clutch somewhat slowly also? thanks in advance.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My first Quattro took some getting used to!

It just took some time to learn how to launch properly. Hell, I still "flub" a launch now and then!
Old 02-18-2002, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

could u explain a little please? =)
Old 02-18-2002, 09:41 AM

Default I wouldn't launch it quite yet until you are very comfortable with the stick

How's the practicing coming along? Do you notice yourself shifting smoother yet?

If you really want to try a launch, engage the clutch, rev your car to 3500 RPM, and drop the clutch. One swift move, don't let it up slowly or it'll glaze over and it'll slip for days (real annoying). Keep your foot on the gas and gun it as soon as you drop the clutch. Shifting in this circumstance will not be smooth, and this whole procedure is not really good for your drivetrain, but it is fun as hell :-D
Old 02-18-2002, 09:44 AM
YS4
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't have a 1.8T but what I do for a quick launch..

rev around 2500-3000 while still on the clutch. Don't neccessarily drop the clutch but release my foot very quickly while at the same time equally quickly depressing the accelerator. By the time my foot is off the clutch, my right foot is pretty much on the floor. by this time, i have to start shifting into 2nd. Dunno, but i really try not to think too hard about it, otherwise i'll f--k it up. guess just takes little practice obviously. If you start to smell something you shouldn't, best you take it easier.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:47 AM
YS4
AudiWorld Super User

sry , your sig confused me, you do have an S4 afterall. right?
Old 02-18-2002, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'll try...

You need to slip the clutch a little more at the beginning of your take off. There is too much traction with Quattro to allow you to release quickly at lower RPMs and get a good launch.

If you are a beginner and have never driven a stick before....this will be a little harder for you.

If I am trying to launch like I'm racing someone, it's a 3k+ rpm launch with just a little slip of the clutch to get me out of the whole quicker.

You might be releasing the clutch too soon and not have enough RPM's up which will cause your car to buck or to get off to a sluggish start.

Start off by going to a parking lot or some other BIG open place. Try to keep the RPM's at 1,500 and then start to release the clutch (SLOWLY) to feel and see (watch the tach!) where the clutch grabs.

Then do this again but quicker. Eventually, you'll get the timing down. It's just a matter of practice.
Old 02-18-2002, 09:54 AM

Oh yeah, as another guy mentioned, as soon as it becomes stinky, ease off for a while...
Old 02-18-2002, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well, i'm comfortable with shifting.. the only issue is that it's not smooth all the time.

i've read numerous posts of how people bogged their launches. are u sure u are just supposed to release the clutch like that? it seems to easy...
Old 02-18-2002, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yah, the A4 was my "old car." i haven't taken pics of the S yet so my sig is still needs to be updat

ed

Quick Reply: need help on launching S4