S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Help Please - Upper Control Arms - Suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Please - Upper Control Arms - Suspension work

I just bought a 2001 S4 and I knew the vehicle needed an alignment and tires but because the car was in Dallas and I was in Colorado I decided to have them ship the car and I would get tires and get it aligned here.

Well, I got the tires (FUZION ZRI's) and took the car over to get aligned. But, the guys who were aligning it called me and said the upper control arm bushings are wearing out. They told me that they could align it but if they did the likely hood is that because the bushings are wearing that the alignment would be out of wack. He showed me the bushings - they are slightly warn/torn and need to be replaced but what kind of advice can you give me.

I'm looking at replacing all the control arms OEM $120 each, where can I go to get something else. Or, would anyone recommend getting a complete different suspension. The shop told me that it would be a good time to replace the shocks.

Basically I'm out of money and I don't know if I should park the S4 and only use it when I go out on the weekends or occasionally. Or, use one of my credit cards and upgrade the whole suspension or replace these links. The cost to do the job is $1000-1200.

Oh - anyone know if this is covered on extended warranties? I could purchase one and claim it at a later date - but I don't want to pay $1800 and then they not replace them.

Thanks for all of your help - its really appreciated!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

You can get a kit with all of the control arms for like $600.. search the forums.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Warranty is most likely not an option...

this type of thing is generally treated as a wear and tear item.

He's right...if there is play in the wheels due to bad upper control arms, in all likelihood, it's pointless to align the car as it will be off.

The cheapest solution is to order up new control arms from www.purems.com, and do the work yourself.

If that isn't an option, shop around and find someone willing to do the job for less.

While it's true that this is a good time to replace the shocks...obviously your wallet says differently. There are write ups on suspension work in the archives and tech section. You could postpone that until a later date and do it yourself once you feel adequately prepared...at least that way you avoid paying for similar work twice (since you're doing it yourself the second time around).

What I would do...order by new front control arms and tie rod ends, bite the bullet and do the install myself. Cost should be around $600 give or take a hundred. I'd leave the shocks and springs until I had more money to play with. Add another $100 or so for the alignment, and you're all done.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Default I can get the 4 links (120 each from audi directly)

I am not sure what to do, I am so depressed about this. It really sucks because I had the audi inspected before I bought it and they didn't notice any problems.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:53 PM

Default How hard is it to do?

This sucks - I heard you had to take out the strut to do it, is it a tough job or pretty easy?

I could afford the shocks/control arms and tie rod ends if I didn't have a shop do it. But we are talking about a Jeep guy trying to work on an AUDI. How hard is it to do? Basically I'm a Dummy about audi's I don't know a damn thing and I'm scared to do it - but should I be?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default It's a PITA in my opinion...

But with the information available here, it's not insurmountable. Things like rust have a way of making life hell when it comes to several bolts and parts in the suspension...and thats where it quickly turns into a PITA. So decide what's more valuable...your time or your money. Then decide if you're one to get easily frustrated, or you're the persistent type.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Is this a good kit? -> found on ebay - $500.00 plus shipping

I found this on ebay - is this a good kit to buy?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUDI-A4-A6-VW-PASSAT-IMPROVED-CONTROL-ARM-KIT-S4-S6-RS6_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ7999408 422QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old 09-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Default How many hours per side? What shocks to get? Bilteins?

I am curious if I were to do it, approxiametely how much time will it take to do this myself?

I asked the dealership how much and they said $200 a side. I have another place to get a quote from on Friday. I need a good price but why should I buy this kit over buying oem links?

Thanks alot
Old 09-13-2005, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Who inspected it? Don't you get a warranty then?

Get the arms, and do it yourself. Not that bad.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Just uppers would be maybe 3 hours per side? I did all of the arms in 13, but I took a few breaks...

and I was working alone on jackstands. I'm also not a mechanic, and generally need more time to do my work than people here say it will take.

Quick Reply: Need Help Please - Upper Control Arms - Suspension work