S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Help: Window Auto Down gets stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Window Auto Down gets stuck

I have done some searching on this issue, and have had no luck.

Situation: My drivers door window's auto up/down functionality works correctly...until the window gets to 2 inches from the bottom. Then the window stops, and i must hold the button down to get it the rest of the way down. I must then reset the system for auto up/down to work again.

I have lubed the tracks with silicone. That didnt help.

I have removed the door panel and inspect the motor/regulator/tracks. Didnt see anything of concern.

I have pushed down on the glass while it was going auto down. My goal was to see if that would prevent the window from catching 2 inches above where it should. This did nothing, it still stopped where it always has.

I have trained the window on both the up and down side, but this has not changed anything.

I opened up the window motor, everything looked correct. Nothing broken or loose.

Can anyone help me? What am I missing? Does the motor control board need to be replaced?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had the opposite problem. Window would go to the top, then go back down like it hit the safety. I

put the window all the way up manually (using the switch a little at a time), then unbolted and removed the motor (from the 3 torx bolts), then put it back on and re-bolted. Thing works fine now. Not sure if this will work for you, but worth a try.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I had the opposite problem.

Yeah i have actually read quite a few posts with people having issues with the window going up, but havent found any about it going down. I actually have removed the motor and torn it apart to look for problems. Nothing changed when i reinstalled it.

Thanks for the post!