S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Need Opinions: Anyone need to wash, polish, and wax their car this week or week end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinions: Anyone need to wash, polish, and wax their car this week or week end?

I need some user reviews on my Basic Paint Maint instructions I created for a tech writing class.<ul><li><a href="http://members.home.net/m3irish/BasicPaintMaint.pdf">Basic Paint Maint</a></li></ul>
Old 11-28-2001, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Looks good. Like the pictures. Just a couple of suggestions...

First, I wouldn't use a diaper. They are often stitched together with Nylon thread, so while the diaper won't damage the paint, the stitching will. Try 100% cotton flannel buffing cloths from Car Care Specialties as an alternative.

Also, 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is not a polish, it's a glaze. You should only use this on pannels that show scratches, or oxidation (i.e., don't use it on the entire car, only where needed). Following that, a plain polish should be used on the entire car. I recommend P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork cleaner, but there are others on the market.

Other than that, looks nice.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IHG works great on the swirl marks...

Can't really damage the paint by hand using IHG either. I'll throw in PS21 as a suggestion. The problem is that I cant get out the swirl marks w/ PS21 only!?!
Thanks for the diaper comment...
Mine don't have stitching, but I address that for the users.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Definitely, I agree, use the IHG on pannels with scratches (including swirl marks) or those with

oxidation. However, it's still good to "Polish" the entire car twice annually to nourish the paint and really get that deep glossy shine. Therefore, use the IHG to get the swirl marks and scratches out (I usually only see them on the hood and trunk), and then follow up with polish on the entire car. Then wax. I think we're saying the same thing, you just may want to cut back on using IHG on those pannels that look good and do the entire car with the polish.