S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

New Updated B5 S4 guide

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear Deck. Just really bad timing. Still need to get a new driveshaft as well.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silberfiel
Is this a restoration guide or mod / tuning guide?
How can we help / contribute to it?
Either way, good idea.
My plan is to answer all of the questions that I had when I bought the car. I've spend countless hours researching, comparing, and bugging people on the forums. Just throw ideas out there - what kinds of things did you have problems/questions with.

For example, one of the things that new owners didn't really deal with but is pretty common on our cars at this age is the aix. coolant pump dying. I want to get stuff like that in there for the most recent owners of these cars.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Basic Layout

Right now I'm planning on dividing the guide into 5 sections as follows (these are in no particular order):

Mods - everything from boost gauges to GT builds

Common Issues - Mechanical failures and quirks of the B5 S4

n00b FAQ - answers to the questions we've all asked at some point and which get re-asked every single day without fail.

Component Locations - illustrated guide to finding important engine components

Where to get stuff - good vendors for mods, tunes, and so on

============================

Did I miss an important section?
Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would skip on the where to get stuff. unless it is just a series of links.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I would skip on the where to get stuff. unless it is just a series of links.
that was the plan
Old 12-07-2009, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sample - DVs

Mods:

DV’s – Diverter Valves: also know as BPVs (bypass valves)

The stock diverter valves are diaphragm based and tend to tear internally. The likelihood of failure increases with age but also with increased boost. This is not an overly expensive upgrade and requires only basic tools and mechanical skill to complete.

Popular replacements fall into two categories – Diaphragm based and piston based.

The piston type tends to be more abrupt but is considered better for high output applications because it is less susceptible to failure from high temps and boost levels. The piston types do require occasional lubrication – typically it is best to do this whenever you change the oil, which should be between every 3k – 6k miles. Just spray a little WD40 into one of the openings.

The diaphragm type is ideal for a stock or moderately modified car and for those who want to keep engine operation as smooth and silky as possible. All of the options listed below have been widely used on the 2.7tt so you can be confident about their reliability.

1. 710N DVs used on Audi TTs. These are significantly more reliable diaphragm design from the OEM Audi Supplier.
2. APR R1 – a performance diaphragm design that can handle higher temps and boost.
3. Forge 007 – Piston based aftermarket DV. You can purchase stiffer springs to adjust the performance of the piston.
4. Bailey DV30 – A popular upgrade for the 225hp Audi TT and to a lesser extent the 2.7tt. This is a performance piston style DV and is the DV that I use.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Silberfiel
What about an "orignality" section. What was correct for what year?
Not sure if there's demand for it, but for those that are looking to resotre one, or understadn what is correct vs modded maybe....too early yet? Just ideas.
Well, it might be a bit early for true restoration projects, but plenty of people want to know the differences between the various model years. Unfortunately, I am not all too versed in the minutia - I know from experience that the control arms differ, the aluminum uprights were replaced after 2000, ESP was added in 2001 and the Bosch MAF was replaced with the Hitachi. I will need to do more searching or get some input to get beyond that.