S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Newbie general mod question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donromani
What is this slushbox nonsense? We call it a chicktronic 'round these parts.
great.....
Yea, a 6 speed would be nice but my A4 is already a manual and I have twin infants. So you gotta figure I need a free hand to address any issues that come up while driving
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a high quality quiet exhaust system - also check out SuperSprint. High quality piece, nice looking tips, great low-key, but very nice, sound.

Must do mods for an S4, IMO, are software and a nice suspension - I thing the Stasis Streetsports are absolutely perfect for daily driving. Not stiff, better damping than stcok - and you can lower th ecar down the from the lofts (stock).

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bcr84urq
For a high quality quiet exhaust system - also check out SuperSprint. High quality piece, nice looking tips, great low-key, but very nice, sound.

Must do mods for an S4, IMO, are software and a nice suspension - I thing the Stasis Streetsports are absolutely perfect for daily driving. Not stiff, better damping than stcok - and you can lower th ecar down the from the lofts (stock).

Brandon
'84 ur-quattro 20Vt
'01 S4
Thanks for the advice Brandon. My A4 had the suspension replaced with an eibach kit and it works nicely BUT having it lowered means I have to really watch it eixting restaurants or going over speed bumps. So I likely won't do that again with the S4.
Lucky for you to have an 84 quattro. Sure do love those cars but don't think I could afford the upkeep and also keep my three other cars.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

‘…do people with the tiptronic modify their S4's with the stage 1 and 3 changes?’ - yes, with mixed levels of success

If you don't have money to burn, this is what I suggest: do piggy down pipes first (the increase flow & quicker spool up will be nice). Next do suspension – Bilstein HD’s are a good shock w/a budget (retain OEM springs). Then brake upgrades (regular fluid flushes & just pads and or rotors). Later, a chip upgrade and or exhaust system. Vibrant also makes a good cat-back exhaust (fitment & price is very good and it isn't loud).

Then, if you've done all of the above and still have the mod bug and money - consider upgraded intercoolers (my vote for Tips is AWE SMIC); be sure to give thought consideration to the Tip transmission cooler (recommend fabing a bracket to mount behind the driver side intercooler -OEM location- so you can continue to use the OEM transmission cooler lines).

Then, if you decide to go Stage 3 or 3- (minus) you’re ready for the most part, install the torque converter from VAST. Often Stg 3 Tip’s have a gear hunt issue between 4th & 5th between 3/4 & WOT – it is a pita.

Frankly, I recommend just keeping the car at Stage 1 or 2+ with suspension and brake improvements and maintain the car meticulously. It will be fast & fun w/in a budget.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My gear hunt got less significant with stage 3. Akward.

But I fear roasting the 4th packs so much that I drive cautiously around those gears and usually force it into tip mode to do anything in them.

If I were going to do SMICs with the tip, I would probably move the trans cooler and custom line it. It adds cost but better cooling could potential save the tip trans. If you do have the 4/5th hunt, it should help keep te trans fluid temps down.

I personally went with an FMIC, which allowed the stock trans cooler to have direct air flow over it. I also know stage 3 tip owners with ERs as well.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

A lot of what can be done with the car depends on proximity to the quality shops/tuners and how much $$$ one wants to throw at a specific dimension of the upgrade vs money for other areas. Another aspect is that most of the mechanicals retain OEM hoses and routing resulting in more serviceability options, for example to take it to any certified facility or even a dealer for repair; if in a bind they could. The more ‘custom’ a setup is the greater the challenge (and time and expense) for servicing when taking it to someone unfamiliar with the custom setup.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats a good point, the more custom you go, the more you limit who can work on the car.

I've done everything myself. But there is a shop close to me with experiance on stage 3 S4s/custom ones so I'm not worried if I end up in a pinch. To be honest, I don't know if I trust very many shops with tip cars. You read to many horror stories about TC installs going wrong and destroying the trans.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by complacentsee

I've done everything myself. To be honest, I don't know if I trust very many shops with tip cars. You read to many horror stories about TC installs going wrong and destroying the trans.
Amen to that!