S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

NEWSBREAK: APR Anti-Theft System announced for Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answer

<b>What does it actually do? Use the EMCS lock feature (already there) to lock the ECU into an empty slot?</b>

It's actually much more sophisticated than that. While a software/hardware based program swap into a blank slot would work in theory, there are a number of disadvantages (other than the obvious disadvantage of reliability issues caused by additional hardware if hardware based.) A main disadvantage being that a blank slot would mean that in essence the engine management computer is not running. Hence, when the user turned the ignition key to the ON position, there would be no check engine light or EPC light. There would be no way to tell if there were an actual engine computer problem or if the ECU was running the 'blank' slot.

The way we implemented this feature the user always has visual feedback of what mode he is in. He knows that he has set the anti-theft system before leaving the vehicle because the check engine light will blink a continuous pattern signifying such. He knows that the engine computer is OK because he will get always get an EPC light. The engine will not start because we have basically told the engine computer to not provide fuel or spark. We have not removed the engine software itself.

The system was designed to look simple but the underlying technology is very sophisticated. For example the logic to capture access code entry is all new. We took the cruise control switches and monitored the waveforms on an oscilloscope as the buttons were being pressed. We then wrote new routines incorporating parameters linked to a microprocessor timer, then set those parameters so that the button presses are always interpreted correctly to eliminate any chances of error in access code interpretation. We also store the state of the Anti-Theft system (activated or deactivated) in non-volatile memory. This means that even if the battery is unplugged from the vehicle, the Anti-Theft system will remain in the same state as it was prior to the power disconnect.

For $199, I think the protection offered is a good value. As one of the lead designers of the system I can also assure you that the price is well justified by the effort and man-hours put into this product.

Thanks,

Brett
APR
Old 11-13-2002, 08:09 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Speaking of IBE...Anyone know when we'll be able to get it?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good luck mang...

can't think of anyone who's got a good track record
with the whole deadline to enter market thing...
=)

call a GIAC dealer??

or just get EMCS since you can do that right now??
Old 11-13-2002, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!

Tory is the last guy I would call a tuner *****. He is the ONLY guy I know who purchased all the M-Box chips and did a valid, un-biased assesment of each one. If he decides to choose APR, it's for a very good reason. Don't bash until you know the guy personally!
Old 11-13-2002, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"no market..." lol. Had APR offered this 3 mos ago, they would have sold an extra stg III kit.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:19 AM
Elder Member

Is this S4 only right now? any plan for A4?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default noted...

can't stand tuner ******...
i'd rather just get an honest answer/opinion
vs. the

"I hope this post makes &lt;insert tuner here&gt; like me!!!"

last thing we need is more biased/bs stuff
Old 11-13-2002, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

ROB, Hows your car? is it runnin yet?
Old 11-13-2002, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is that possible? my guess is that other's software isn't going to work on APR's hardware
Old 11-13-2002, 08:28 AM

Default Is the EMCS check-engine light problem with M-boxes fixed in the new firmware?

EMCS, at least through version 3.2, makes the check-engine light flicker so you can't tell what program you've switched into on M-boxes without timing it yourself (and hoping you didn't end up in 104 octane when you've only got 91 in the tank). So, two questions:

1.) Does the new v3.3 firmware fix this problem?
2.) If not, will the anti-theft program also be annoying/difficult to use?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Quick Reply: NEWSBREAK: APR Anti-Theft System announced for Audi S4