S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

No boost Stage 3(1 year no problems), this ones confusing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No boost Stage 3(1 year no problems), this ones confusing.

Well I my winter car didnt like me anymore so I had to break out the S4 up here in cold a$$ wisconsin. I have been running a MBC on the FULL(everything awe offers) stage 3. I did the install on it, but cant figure this one out.

I have checked all the hoses/wastegate lines/intercooler tubes and I CANT find any boost leak. The car only makes about 1or2 psi now. I can hear the turbo spool DOWN and you cant hear it spool up. Its almost like there isnt enough air for the turbo's.

I have cleared all CEL and disconnected battery thinking it might be some weird sensor and still no luck. So I know its not the boost tubes, wastegate lines, intake plumping, or the MBC(removed it). The car doesnt misfire or anything. Also I notice that there is a little bit more oil reside coming fromt he exhaust @ startup. I usually runa bout 23ish psi, settling @ 21.

Any ideas? Car runs fine, I have all silicone hoses on the intake track.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2006, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1or2 psi is less than the wastegate spring, so it sounds like there's a boost leak...

after the turbos and before the boost gauge. Even if you didn't want to make any boost, the wastegate springs are set around 4-5psi, so you would still see that much boost before the wastegates opened. If you're only seeing 1-2 psi, it sounds like there's a leak somewhere before the boost gauge sensor.

Is it stumbling at all at idle?

I'd pressure test first, after a visual inspection to see if any IC hoses are off, etc
Old 01-09-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Not to scare you, but in all my experiences, when a turbo fails

it usually makes only about 1-2psi of boost. Maybe you cooked the turbos from running too much boost with that MBC?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:10 PM

Default If there were that big a leak, would the car still run fine like he states in the last paragraph?

On my S4, I once had a big *** intercooler leak and the car would BARELY start, but would quickly die after a second or two.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default If the turbo failed, wouldn't I hear some kind of high pitch whine(like a vacuum)?

Plus the other turbo should still produce more then 1 or 2psi, shouldnt it?
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto - my experience with IC hose issues is that the car barely runs!
Old 01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 1or2 psi is less than the wastegate spring, so it sounds like there's a boost leak...

IC hoses are fine...I am going to jack the car up tonight and take a real good look @ it. The car doesn't stumble @ all on idle and it turbo sounds normal on spool down...

thanks for input though. Maybe a crack in my Y pipe? but that would lead to misfiring...
Old 01-09-2006, 12:32 PM

Default It really depends on how the turbo **** to bed. A turbo can break in a bunch of different ways.

I would go under the car and check the turbos..
Old 01-09-2006, 12:41 PM

When the IC hose is off the car won't hold idle.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: It really depends on how the turbo **** to bed. A turbo can break in a bunch of different ways.

im guessing i am completely screwed. I ran it a little higher in the RPMS to see if it owuld produce any more psi and a cloud of gray smoke came from my exhaust. I dont think the shaft broke and this totally sucks because i bought a house and am completely broke. Any idea, after the year it takes me to pull out the engine and turbos, where I should send them out to get rebuilt. I takes me over 1.5 years to save 1000 bucks. Single home owner isnt cheap

Quick Reply: No boost Stage 3(1 year no problems), this ones confusing.