S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Numb on center steering?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2000, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Numb on center steering?

I remember reading that in C&D's test vs. the M3 et. al.

After 3k miles on my S4, I think I know what their talking about. I find it difficult sometimes easily maintaining a course in a long sweeping turn. Off-ramp or interchange for instance. The steering seems to be a little numb when you hold it steady. I only notice because my Corrado SLC steered wonderfully.

Would this be lessened with the addition of the MTM springs?
Old 05-30-2000, 11:15 PM

Default Lowering does help. It did for my M

<p>Peter Y. Lee
Philadelphia, PA
96 M3 Lux (an S4 aficianado)
Remus exhaust, Brembo OE
slotteds, stainless steel lines,
JimC software & intake, H&R
w/ Bilstein, Hamann HM2 18"s,
S-02's, ERT underdrive pulley,
Ron Stygar SS, Racing Dynamics
su
Old 05-31-2000, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Probably not...

The numb steering is an effect of the virtual center steering axis generated by the funky four bar link front suspension design. Although great for minimizing torque steer on the FWD Audis, we quattro drivers have to suffer with its "non-Audi-like" steering response. Come on Audi, let's bring back the strut front suspension, along with its precise road feel. I guess we could always buy a TT.
Old 05-31-2000, 03:05 AM

Default NO!!!!! (more rational stuff below) :-)

I've been chasing Audi's numb steering for years - about 20 of them. Here's the bottom line. Its the steering rack, and you're SOL.

In fact, the S4 is among the best I've ever had from Audi. The flat-out best, my measuring stickm was the MANUAL rack in my 1981 Scirocco "S". very communicative. Almost older 911 levels, as good or better than M3s, which are also superb (great shifter too).

So what's the problem? Audi, either by design or otherwise, has a low pass filter built into their rack. I would guess it is to maintain excellent weight, but transmit less "harshness" back to the cockpit. For those of us enthusiasts, that means losing the little stuff that makes such a difference. I want to feel the tarmac wiggle get lighter BEFORE the car pushes into the armco, you too huh?

All that said, changing the suspension, tires, etc will make you feel bore through your BUTT. Certainly some tires will filter more than others throughthe steering column. But overall, you're off tilting at windmills.

Enjoy it as it is.

Grant
Old 05-31-2000, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Grant, back in 1985...

I had a Coupe GT which Car & Driver magazine claimed had the best steering system of cars they tested. The quote was something like "...so the Audi Coupe GT steering is better than all the cars we tested. On that, we would not steer you wrong".

They did give the best brake award to the Porsche 911. The said "show us a car that could stop on a dime, and we'll outbrake you in a 911 with 5 cents change".
Old 05-31-2000, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Numb on center steering.......

.... i had a problem that sounds like what you describe. Audi replaced my steering rack!
when i brought my S4 to Prestige service Dept, it was hard to describe the problem. the service manager drove it and did something interesting: he pulled into an empty parking lot. at about 5mph, he cut the wheel full lock left and let it go... it began to return to center then slowed and stayed in a radiused turn. same thing turning right.
he determined the rack had a bad spot on center and had it replaced!!
same tests now return the wheel to center at constant rate.
try that test and bring the car to a GOOD service dealer!!
wO
Old 05-31-2000, 05:20 AM

Default Had a coupe GT .. not bad, not great

Good steering, very linear and nicely weighted. Audi's always steer and track well, but the low amplitude, high frequency stuff (road surface feel) was still not there.

Balancing other things, the Porsche has steering quirks like oversteer, kickback, etc, btu the *feel* was stunning. have not driven a new one nor a C4.

Grant
Old 05-31-2000, 06:10 AM
JAH

Default The old Scirocco I's had excellent steering - I had an 80 S, it was a beautiful car.

84 GTI engine, GTI wheels, close ratio 5 sp, all in a very lightweight car, a total bag of fun. Too bad they're all pretty much rusted away.
Old 05-31-2000, 08:01 AM

Default I had SLCs too! (More)

vrsix,

I had two Corrado SLCs as well, one '92 and a '94. Great cars! I then moved on to a BMW M Coupe. I'm considering going after an S4. I read the C&D Article that you were talking about.

What are your impressions of the S4? I've only been able to drive it for 15mins...hardly enough to really tell. It seemed incredibly refined and powerful though. How is quattro? Any impressions would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
David
Old 05-31-2000, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: NO!!!!! (more rational stuff below) :-)

It's not that big of a deal to me, and I love the car and enjoy it immensely nonetheless. I was just curious if others had that same feeling.

Quick Reply: Numb on center steering?