S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Odd climate control problem - it's fogging up my windows! Suggestions? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd climate control problem - it's fogging up my windows! Suggestions? (more)

If I have my climate control completely off, and then turn it on, the windows (especially the front windshield) completely fog up immediately. This makes it very dangerous to turn it on when I am driving, as my visability is significantly impared and I immediately have to put it on full defrost for a few minutes. After that, the windows defog and everything goes along fine and I can run climate control as normal.

Does anyone else have this problem? I can't find anything in the archives, so I'm thinking it might just be me.

I have noticed some coolant loss lately, about a quart every two weeks. Do you think this coolant loss issue is related? Maybe it's getting into the ventilation system somehow? I am also having misfires on the B bank (cylinders 1, 2, and 3) - pretty much just when at idle, and worse when cold. There is no visable coolant leaking under the car or puddles in the morning, yet a full quart of coolant dissapears every two weeks or so. If my low coolant indicator ever comes on, it is always in the morning when I first start the car - as if the coolant leaked out overnight. Yet, no coolant is visable, but the car misfires like crazy.

Do you think these issues are all related? My front temp sensor is also shot, so it always reads about 40 degrees to high of an outside temperature.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-11-2003, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I had the same problem as you. It was a bad heater core

I had a slow loss of coolant and my A/C would fog my windows. I complained to UVAS about it and they told me to keep an eye on it for a while. I eventually found a big puddle of coolant on the carpet on the passenger side. They then replaced my heater core. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, thanks. Do you think it is connected to the misfire problem at all?
Old 04-11-2003, 08:35 AM
Rest In Peace

Is it safe to breathe G12 fumes? I thought the green stuff was bad for you . . .
Old 04-11-2003, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default That's a good point, too. Fortunately, however, I don't think there is a whole

lot of G12 left in there as I have been adding distilled water as it leaked out. There sometimes is a definitely burning engine/burning oil/car engine fumes/exhast type smell that comes out of the AC, especially after a hard acceleration at WOT. However, I attributed that more to a small oil leak I know is in there somewhere than the coolant issues.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No I don't think the problems are connected...

Misfires at idle are pretty common in our cars.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dale at UVAS gave me a gallon of G12....

when we were trying to figure out the coolant loss. Take it over there and have them look at it. I'm assuming you still have warranty left. If it's a heater core and you have to pay, it will probably be expensive. They had my car for 3 days.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Should I be worried about it? It is ALWAYS misfiring at idle, to the tune of

a full 60 misfires then reset. I can feel the car shaking when it idles and is misfiring. The car runs just fine otherwise, though, and I just try not to let it idle. :-) It does throw DTCs about the misfires and sometimes the CEL light comes on. Seems this should be fixable....
Old 04-11-2003, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default No warranty, 2000 S4 w/ 43K miles. My dealer is an absolute a$$ and I am

not going back there unless I absolutely have to - I am looking for a different independent shop in the seattle area to get my car fixed through.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Definitely leaky heater core

Same thing happened to me a couple months ago. Luckily it was covered under my aftermarket warranty, cuz it ain't a cheap fix.

Quick Reply: Odd climate control problem - it's fogging up my windows! Suggestions? (more)