S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Off Topic: Skip Barber Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2000, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off Topic: Skip Barber Driving School

Anyone have any opinions or advice about the driving school? i'm thinking about taking the two day course at laguna seca sometime in the next couple months.

thanks,

josh
Old 03-09-2000, 06:43 PM

Default I took a special one day corporate class.

One of the companies I work with treated me to a day of Skip Barber. I got to drive some open wheel Formula car that uses a Dodge Neon engine. I felt the instructors were excellent and it was literally one of the best days of my life. Highly recommended.

- Rog

'99 Silver 2.8QMS
Old 03-10-2000, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Go for it! ...(more)

I took it in 1998 at Road America. Had a blast while learning braking, skid recovery, balance, vehicle dynamics, etc. Also learned how to apex and find the race line! The second day autocross was most fun, and a few laps piloting a Viper put a grin on my face. This was my first school. I felt enlightened afterwards. It was a great primer for the track events I now participate in, and it helped my everyday driving abilities.
Don't miss out on it.
Old 03-10-2000, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My opinion...

for the price of that two day course, you can buy the book ("Going Faster", I beleive), a set of track tires and brake pads, and do several QCUSA "driver Education" track events in YOUR car.

The instruction may not be quite as professional, but you'll get more track time, and more importantly, you'll learn how YOUR car behaves at or near its limits.
Old 03-10-2000, 06:12 AM

Default Thanks to all who replied ....

I also searched through some of the archives, and it looks like the majority give it a big thumbs up! cool.

thanks again,

josh
Old 03-10-2000, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default True, it is good to know how your car handles at the limits...

At Skippy you use their cars and you might take them _past_ the limits without major consequences. On the skidpad you practice the art of controlling an oversteer skid. If you fail to correct the skid properly and swap ends on the skidpad, there are no walls/cars to hit. The repetition of the skidpad exercises helps to sharpen your technique, as an instuctor is riding with you to offer advice. So should a skid happen on the track in your car, you have prior experience to draw on.
Old 03-10-2000, 04:02 PM

Default i just came back from a driving school

It was definetely an event that i would recommend to anyone with a passion for racing. The school was Bragg Smith and the cars were brand new Corvettes and Camaro SS's. Threshold braking, heal toe downshifting, clipping the apex's, looking ahead, a lot of track time, etc. are some of the things taught. It was a great experinece and i would not hesitate to do it again. Alot is learned.