S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Oh Coilover Gods, how do you adjust them.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2000, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh Coilover Gods, how do you adjust them.

Just got my H&R Coilovers on friday, and got to drive the car today (long weekend away with my wifes jeep ). I looked at adjusting the height on them as they are set all the way up. I used the factory jack (seems kinda skimpy) and took one wheel off. Do you loosen the lower bolt and then move the large one down to it? Are they harder then hell to move? Clockwise or counterclockwise to loosen? Any tricks in doing this? Is there only one spring per strut? Do I need a better jack for this, so I don't squash myself? Should I just let a professional do it?

Thanks for any and all insite!!!!!

Doug
Old 05-29-2000, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't even think about doing anything w/o a jackstand.

Screwing around with cars is neat, til you squash yourself. Go buy a set of jackstands.

Warren
Old 05-30-2000, 03:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Not too hard...

I didn't use jackstands since I wasn't climbing under the car. I used a 3-ton floor jack.

You'll need to loosen the lower perch (nut) and adjust the height by rotating the upper one. Clockwise should bring the height down.

What I did was make a mark on the perch (in one of the notches) so I could count the number of turns and get the height even (laterally).

When we installed the H&R coilovers initially, we used some spray lubricant to make the adjustment easier. You'll want to wash it off when you're done so road grime/dirt/sand doesn't stick to it.
Old 05-30-2000, 05:00 AM

Default My experiences....

With my H/R coilovers, I found that there is still too much compression on the spring to just turn the collars unless you are a WWF wrestler so you will need a spring compressor to loosen the unit. Do it slowly and try to use a jack stand since the factory jack has been know to fail!
Old 05-30-2000, 09:58 AM
JAH

Default Nononono, use the H&R supplied spanner wrench, you do NOT need to compress spring! [more]

Adjusting is very simple with the right spanner wrenches. It takes me only minutes to do each wheel. Jack up the corner, remove the wheel, and use the spanner to move the perch and up and down. I don't recommend the stock jack other than when you are stuck somewhere, buy a small floorjack for home use, and a set of jackstands.