S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OIL LEAK......

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL LEAK......

tech says its coming from my crankcase vent valve and the oil cooler seal. is that common on our cars?

i was doing a lot of research over the weekend and the most common oil leaks are from seals/gaskets going bad. the previous owner already replaced the valve cover gasket and front cam seals. i was gonna do the front crank seal, cam tensioner seals, and cam plugs. if it still leaking oil, i'll have the rear main seal checked later on.

anything else i should replace???
Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 AM

you can also check turbo oiling/cooling lines.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Very common - valve cover gasket leak...have had driver's side leaking

twice now. While your in there replacing all those parts (cam seals / front crank seal, etc) might as well do tb job - (rollers / tensioner / pulley / serp belt / accessory belt, etc).
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

any parts + labor estimates on doing just valve covers?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Parts - BlauParts is the best place to find the "kit" right now I believe...

that comes w/ the valve cover gaskets - (center and outside) / cam seals (4) / endcaps (2) / silicone / half moon looking seals - cam valley seals. Very good comprehensive kit, and best pricing to boot. Labor, well that all depends...would say about 4 hours maybe (not for cam seals) - just vc gaskets. Cam seals, caps will add more time. And if you do the half moon seals (valley seals) - got to remain chain and cams i believe = more time. I'm no expert though, just it's been my own personal oil leak battle every time - or at least where it was always originating from.

Blau kit: http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GF21002&cat=4277
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default yea I saw your post from April actually...I'd be doing only valve covers...

most seemed to say this would be ab. 2 hours labor. I already had the other stuff done by a shop that didn't do the VC's, obviously. If I would have known to do this stuff along with the TB, I would have. Slow slow leak now.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Oh ok, then w/ valve covers only, you might not need to order the

entire kit. However, it's not that expensive and keeping those cam seals / caps around might come in handy, especially when you do the tb service - would be a good time to do that then since the whole front end is practically removed. Good luck...that's nice that it's a slow leak for now, but it will get worse unfortunately.

Worst mine was that every morning and for about 20 minutes after startup, car would smoke (white) like crazy from the drivers side valves...can't tell you how many people tried to tell me my car was on fire
-Chris