S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ok, am I crazy or is Ca. gas really bad??? What do people use in NorCal, b/c Shell is awful!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, am I crazy or is Ca. gas really bad??? What do people use in NorCal, b/c Shell is awful!!!
Old 10-10-2000, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Ok, am I crazy or is Ca. gas really bad??? What do people use in NorCal, b/c Shell is awful!!!

I use Chevron 92 mostly, but I don't think that is any kind of guarantee. For what I know any gas station may buy gas from any distributor, even one from a different brand!
Old 10-10-2000, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Chevron 92 or 76 92 (if I can't find cheap Chevron)
Old 10-10-2000, 12:34 PM

I usually use BP/Amoco...93octane
Old 10-10-2000, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not my area of expertise (or part of the country), but I heard that all companies in a partcular ..

area have their trucks draw from the same station, which is fed by pipeline (I do work for one of the pipelines, so this makes sense). The grade is determined by the level drawn from (bottom, top, etc.). If this is true, the quality of the trucks and station tanks is more of a deciding factor (as is any additives/detergents). So, I avoid older gas stations or old ones that were bought out by another company and then given a face lift. There is one particular company that I always avoid, unless in a bad pinch.

Don't know if any of this is true, so anyone qualified care to confirm or deny?
Old 10-10-2000, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I use Exxon 92 or Cheveron.. I prefer Mobil.. but I haven't found any out here! =( How's 76 gas?

I've never seen a 76 on the east coast.. but I know they're the "official gas of nascar"... so I guess they can't be THAT bad, but I've stayed away since I haven't seen them. If anyone knows of a Mobil out here (sacramento), please tell me! I'd gladly drive 5 mins for Mobil... It's just a personal preference between the big names for me.
Old 10-10-2000, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Basically all Ca, gas is expensive and different because..

California, has some stupid laws put into effect by some hippie tree hugger that states Ca. must only use gas that is from a Ca refinery. This way the gas meets the stricter Ca emission laws. The reason gas is so expensive, expecially in NorCal where I live, is because the refineries can berly produce enough supply to quell the demand. What needs to be done is for Ca to build at least two more refineries to increase the supply. Thus allowing demand to be met and prices to drop a bit.

The difference in gas from station to station is the additives that are added. IE: Cheveron = Techron, 76 = Pro Power etc.. Other than that all the gas in Ca, comes from the same refinery, generally speaking.

Hope this helps a little..either way I think we are screwed in Ca, until more supply can be found.
Old 10-10-2000, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't forget the 1 or 2 refineries we do have explode on a regular basis. I hate Hippies!
Old 10-10-2000, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

haha...Tosco baby!
Old 10-10-2000, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mr. Esses . . .

No Mobil's in your area. Wanna know why? Because Exxon & Mobil are the same company. Remember the merger? I searched 2 ways: using Yahoo and using ExxonMobil's website. Exxon should be fine and Chevron too (what I use). I know the Chevron on 65th Ave (I think) by the SMUD building off of Hwy 50 is usually pretty cheap. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Ok, am I crazy or is Ca. gas really bad??? What do people use in NorCal, b/c Shell is awful!!!