S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

ok, BIG help needed: EXTERIOR- silver or black? (more about the debate within)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2000, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok, BIG help needed: EXTERIOR- silver or black? (more about the debate within)

hope i'm catching everyone on their late lunch breaks (they always seem to happen twice though, huh?)....
Black--- aluminum mirrors will contrast brilliantly (is that good or bad? cops-bad...almost everyone else-good...but i dont't want to be tooooo flashy, although it is an S4...)
------ clear corners will contrast nicely as well
------ i'm going to put on a dark 35% tint, but will it look as dark as the one i currently have on my 1.8T?
------ silver alc. interior will (again) contrast perfectly
------ black is beautiful, but how dirty DOES it get? is dirt that much more noticeable than on a silver? also, i live at least part time in NYC, so if someone was to leave a little mark on my bumper (because they cant parallel park), it wouldnt show on black...waterspots would be an issue, but brake dust so much, nor road grime....help!!!

silver---- aluminum mirrors wouldnt contrast so much as with black...good or bad? how much would the mirrors even be noticeable though?
------ i know the tint is perfect for the silver
------ the silver alcantara interior doesnt contrast as much....also i dont want a car that is too bright (my 1.8T has onyx/onyx, tints, silver ext.)
------ clear corners wont be so prominent of a mod
------ and lastly, the dirt/grime issue...i'm pretty aware of what its like with silver...and thats i'm tempted to go with black, because most of the stuff that winds up on my car seems to be really dark dirt/grime.....

HEEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!! any opinions/remarks will be greatly appreciated!!! i've got to do something QUICKLY about ordering....i should have done it last week...ohboyohboy.....
thanks!!!!!!
Old 05-18-2000, 10:11 AM

Rule #473 Own at least one black car in your lifetime, after that you will never want one again.
Old 05-18-2000, 10:19 AM

gotcha..the "in your lifetime" clause has me wondering when though..thanks 701 for hittin both posts
Old 05-18-2000, 10:24 AM

Default Agreed! The main problems:

They look absolutely fantastic, _when_clean_, and therein lies the first problem.

The second: swirl marks.

Third: (if you live in the south): 100-degree heat+black car = oven.<p>'00 S4
Silver/onyx
6-speed, convenience, Bose w/changer,
cold weather pkg, unchipped
Valentine One :-)
Old 05-18-2000, 10:26 AM

Default Re: ok, BIG help needed: EXTERIOR- silver or black? (more about the debate within)

I've owned both Silver and Black cars and all I can say is it depends...

On the one hand, Silver is MUCH easier to keep clean - there is no comparison here. Even when dirty it doesn't look too bad. Black on the other hand will start too look dirty again a few minutes after you start to drive it again (I've now owned my third, and final black car). In addition, black shows every tiny ding and scratch which was a constant sore spot for me.

On the flip side, nothing looks better than a clean black car. In addition, there aren't too many cars that don't look good in black...

In the long run, it's a matter of priorities. If you don't mind parking your car miles from other vehicles who certainly won't respect your car as much as you do, and don't mind cleaning you car a couple of times a week, then go for black. The staisfaction you'll get from your shiny black ride will be insurmountable (Personally, I'm done with them). If you want a color that is not only classy but extremely easy to maintain, then go for the Silver...

'01 Santorin/Onyx - 6spd
Premium, Cold, Bose
(waiting...)
Old 05-18-2000, 10:41 AM

Default Or there is the Rule - Once you go black you never go back

I've owned a black Mustang GT, a black Taurus SHO, and i have a black S4 on order.

If you don't mind (or even enjoy) spending time frequently washing and detailing your car, nothing beats the sleek look of a clean, shiny black car IMO. It just takes a little extra work to keep it that way!

Incidentally my second choice was silver...<p>Darin
01 Black/Onyx on order
Old 05-18-2000, 10:46 AM

Default Do yourself a favor and don't park it on the NYC streets, (more)

If you can afford the car, park it in a garage AND threaten (and tip) the attendants regularly. My M3 got the everliving crap beaten out of it ever time I parked on the street, it an open invite to mess with the car.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i'm on my 3rd black audi...no signs of going back!

<p>Adam
'00 Brilliant Black S4 6sp
Old 05-18-2000, 11:02 AM

Default I have a black on black S4(more)

IMO nothing looks better than a nice black car when it is clean but you do have to wash it frequently. Tried a new turtle wax product out for swirl marks and it works great.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I have owned three black cars.....

...and believe me, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING looks better than a freshly washed and waxed black car. However, they only look good for about an hour. After that, the look like ****. The tiniest amount of dust or pollen is visible. When it rains, the appearance gets even worse, especially if it was not a heavy downpour. Light "sprinkles" mix with the dirt/dust/pollen and make ugly, muddy spots all over the car. If you have lots of patience and don't mind FREQUENT washing/waxing (absolutely NO automatic car washes, you gotta do it by hand), then black is truly beautiful. If you are young and single, then go for it. If you are like me (married, middle 30's, six yr old kid, and work like two dogs), then get another color, period. I would love a black S4, however, I am too tired at the end of the day and at the end of the week to devote a lot of time to detailing a black car. I am ordering silver......

Quick Reply: ok, BIG help needed: EXTERIOR- silver or black? (more about the debate within)