S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

OK, can't decide...PSS9's or Non-Adj. Penskes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i never said i talked to roger penske @ss hat
Old 08-18-2006, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default further mroe you kept saying you cant add compression w/out it being through the shaft thats BS and

thats what i was arguing with you about

your just an **** retentive SOB

if you mentioned the compression side valve stack and that the adjustment through the shaft can be changed and to look into the manuals that would have been way easier then telling me you cant add compression. which you still never understood
Old 08-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor

Default Yes but this doesn't address what I said below and why CFI is laughing...

is because you cannot just remove a canister and shove some nitrogen into a shock body. If you look at our front Ohlins or Pat's units in the front of his S4 you'll notice external reservoirs. These units have a floating piston inside that keeps the nitrogen and oil separate. Removing the reservoir, putting on valve and pressurizing these shocks bodies will not work. There is meant to be oil in the top of these dampers where the reservoir is attached, NOT nitrogen. If you put nitrogen in this port on these dampers it would make an oily foamy concotion in the body of the damper if the nitrogen stayed put without sneaking out the top seal or wandering down into the rest of the damper body. Now you have an oily foamy **** storm and when you try to bleed out the nitrogen you are going to get a bath of pressurized oil. You CANNOT bleed gas out of this mess. It's like trying to put a screwdriver in the top of a keg and hope that only the carbination comes out without any beer.

Now if you have a damper that is designed to be pressurized in the shock body it essentially has the external reservoir in it, the floating piston is inside the damper so the nitrogen and oil do not mix. So if you removed the valve and just strapped on a reservoir to this it wouldn't work either because you already have the floating piston in the damper body and you don't put oil to that and in the reservoir then charge the reservoir with nitrogen.

This stuff isn't just slap together, add a valve, remove a reservoir, weld a fitting on stuff. It's complex to get these properly built and if you are having Penske or someone else service these units then that's great and fine, but Pat is extremely knowledgeable about the Penskes and developed these units for the S4 specifically. I wouldn't call him an arrogant SOB or anything else for that nature. He's just passionate about what he knows and what he does. You misspoke and may have been talking about dampers that completely do not apply to this conversation, however that doesn't mean Pat is arrogant for talking about the proper units that actually have a kit to bolt-onto a B5. The most important part of these kits is actually the mounting hardware, because without it you have dampers, nothing more, nothing less. I could put Ohlins in my car, yeah in the trunk, but to get them fitted into the suspension is endeyes, machined plates, bushings, more machined parts, perches, etc.

Let's let this die.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sorry did you say something... I can't read through the tears of laughter!

I was re-reading your post where you post file photos of Penske shocks and say how compression can't be adjusted on the shaft... OMG, you're my new internet hero! BBB who?<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2445495.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2445495.phtml</a></li></ul>
Old 08-18-2006, 03:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there are plenty of shocks that have nitrogen mixed with the oil, I previously stated that its not

the best way for a shock to perform but it provides a way to add or reduce compression in a cheaper shock. and then once updated to compression ressies, you just add the hyd lines and ressies.thats how atv shocks are updated from non resivior shocks to resivior shocks and same principles can be used with a car shock provided the shock and seals can with stand the pressure.(usually 210-250 is the max)

if its a case of a piston in the shock body itself then that would have to be removed so the oil would flow to the top and out of the shock body and through the hyd lines up to the ressies.

and when there is pressurised nitrogen in a shock mixed with the oil you use a bleeder hose and put the hose into a waste drum... its simple. ive done it on shocks like that alot. ive had a lot of people upgrade from non resivior shocks to remote resiviors so they could tweak the compression on there shocks.

i have been talking about dampners that dont apply to this conversation but pat automatically thought i was talking about the 7500 which i said i wanst and I already talked to penske about setting up and upgradeable shock so i know im not in the wrong. I was wrong about the comp on the shaft but coming from atv shocks low speed comrpession dampening is not needed. theyve been tried out and it does not help much..

i dont care how passionate someone is to come out and insult someone when your misunderstanding or even putting words in one mouth, like i was talking about 7500 shocks which i never said. and then puts words in my mouth saying i was talking to roger penske when i never mentioned his last name and frankly wasnt sure who i spoke with but thought that mgiht have been him.. its not cool

so there its dead now
Old 08-18-2006, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i already said i didnt know about the compression on the shaft could be adjusted, but if you said

that you can change the needle and jet from reb to comp and it effects the compression stack or rebound stack then i would have asked, but since you didnt go into detail i went and researched it myself.now i know

you are arrogant for being so harsh and like i said in other posts i never mentioned 7500 shocks anywhere and the 8100 from what i looked at can only have rebound or compression on the shaft but why would you want compression on both ends and no rebound adjust, then you would have to change the valve stacks to get the rebound eprfect without any adjustment, I dont believe you can have reb and comp on the 8100 but it seems you can have both reb and comp on the 7500 unless that was a pchop because I dont see the LINK anymore to the startup page whowing that pic with reb and comp on the shaft.

you even said unless im talking about completely diff hardware and to an extent i was, but from what i got from penske i was sure about what i was talking about.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default i guess this is my job in this thread . . .

because i have no technical expertise to add or argue about.<ul><li><a href="http://www.startupracing.com/Contents/Products/B5/ProductsSuspensionMore.htm">http://www.startupracing.com/Contents/Products/B5/ProductsSuspensionMore.htm</a></li></ul>
Old 08-18-2006, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so is comp and rebound possible for both stacks on other shocks other then the 7500?

the 8100 did not show anything about using both??