S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ok, in response to Mike and everyone else... (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, in response to Mike and everyone else... (long)

Mike's offer is more than fair. Offering to repair the problems free of charge is a kind offer. BUT, it's a moot point as the costs of shipping the car to Houston are way more than the repair costs. I don't have the money or the time to deal with that kind of hassle. I've already been without the car for 2 weeks, trying to find what the problem was and repair the sub-standard parts. I'm not going to ship the car off for 2 more weeks for 3-4 times the cost of the repairs, that's rediculous.

I hold no bad feelings towards Mike, I know he's an upstanding guy and would not use sub-standard parts as a long term solution. He must have been on time constraints, fine.

And I hold no bad feelings towards Zerin either. Many of you have taken pot shots at him and put blame on him. This is not his fault and I don't hold him responsible in any way.

And for those that say "buyer beware" and because it's as-is it's my responsibility? **** YOU...if the car is held together with chewing gum and rubber bands and the buyer is unaware, it's the sellers responsiblity to MAKE the buyer aware....An inspection would not have found this problem...If I buy a car do I need to take out every single ****ing bolt to make sure the previous mechanic used the right parts?!?#!?#?!#?!#? BULL****

I accept the fact the car is modified, has been driven hard, and has a good amount of miles on it. I accept the fact that things will break and I will need to repair it. But when repairs are needed because someone used the wrong parts on my car, that's bull****.

I'm not ranting at Mike, I'm ranting at those that think this is my responsibility.

As for shipping the car to Houston, thanks but no thanks. I've had the car repaired (one side) for $616. Yet again I get screwed. I'll fix the other side when those bolts snap...

So Mike, if you didn't think there would be problems with these parts, how many other K04 installs have you used them on?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm now convinced to leave my car stock until 3 things happen....

1. I have a lot more money
2. My car is paid off completely
3. Audi won't cover repairs any longer.

Sorry to see you in this position man....really not cool.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:15 AM
Maestro

FU to the forum? What a way to make friends...
Old 09-03-2002, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fu to those that think this is my responsibility...

Like I said in my post, I'll take full responsibility for any basic maintenance problems that come up, but when my car is put together with rubber bands and chewing gum that is not my responsibility. People are posting this is my fault/responsibilty because it's as-is...BULL****...It's illegal to not make the buyer aware of known problems...and parts were used that should not have been on ANY CAR. I'm already being raped in the *** financially for this, I don't need clueless a$$holes saying this is my fault. That's who I'm giving a big FU to.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default See, Mike, that's why you should foot some of the bill.

I mentioned this in a previous post and your response was, "You forget.. If I repair the vehicle myself. then it costs me really nothing except the time that I could be repairing other cars."

You act as if that isn't worth much. However, that is, in fact, your offer to bageldog, therefore, you don't think your offer to bageldog is worth very much.

We all know that isn't correct - time is money and your offer is a good one and it is definitely worth something. However, we all know it's a moot point because bageldog can't take you up on it.

So put your money where your mouth is, put a dollar value on your time (any mechanic should be able to figure out how much their time is worth to them), and cut a check for however much time (and parts) it would take you to fix your mistake.

"I cut a check from my account... that costs me."

Yes, it costs you. It's your mistake and mistakes cost money. Yes, it costs you more, in cash, than it would if bageldog showed up at your door. But, on the other hand, you don't have to waste more than 10 minutes (the time it takes to do the math, write the check, and put it in the mail) of your time on the problem and you can take all those hours you saved and go do some profitable work for your other customers.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:53 AM
Elder Member

Default Sorry Sam, The Truth isn't always pretty. Those that said "Buyer Beware" are right...

...it may not be what you wanna hear but it's the truth.

Good luck.
Old 09-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Elder Member

Default Okay, I don't know any of the three of you, but...

I like sticking my nose in where it doesn't belong so here goes.

Who's responsibility is it, then? If Zerin needed the car and Mike did what it took to get it running, thats between the two of them. If Zerin didn't know the bolts weren't going to hold up, thats certainly not his fault.

Right or wrong, ever single sale in the US that is not explicitly covered by an applicable law saying otherwise is by default caveat emptor.

You got a raw deal, sure, but you paid a premium knowing the car you bought was modded to all hell. Just look at the failure reports of stock cars on here, even Audi can't get it right and they spend *millions* making sure its as good as it can possibly be.

So if its not Mike's fault, and its not Zerin's fault, and you say that caveat emptor doesn't apply to you, whose fault is it?
Old 09-03-2002, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm taking the responsibility and I'm paying for it...

BUT I don't agree with it...If any problems arise from basic wear and tear or the mods themselves, I'm more than willing to pay for that...but these are repairs due to gross negligence. Repairs for problems that were known about, problems that were not communicated to me.

Mike has made a fair offer. I can't take up Mike on his offer due to logistical and financial reasons. I'm screwed, I realize that. But saying that "buyer beware" means someone can use the wrong parts on a car and not tell the buyer is BS.

I'm gonna go replace the pistons in my Pathfinder with Coke cans and sell it buyer beware...Just because you can fool someone and get away with it doesn't mean it's legal or correct...I'm sick of everyone saying that.
Old 09-03-2002, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So Caveat emptor means you can take out all the bolts and replace em with paper clips? Bah

Like I said, I'm taking financial responsibility for this but I don't agree with it morally or legally.....
Old 09-03-2002, 10:09 AM

Default Buyer beware doesn't fully cover this situation

Buyer beware is fair when reasonable due diligence would uncover the problem. I don't think that's the case here.

Bageldog has a right to expect that the mods - risky as they are - were at least done with the correct parts when such parts are readily available (as they were - Mike just forgot to order them apparently).

Still, it's a big, complex, highly modded and hard driven machine. I don't know what he paid, but IIRC it was less than you might expect for a such a capable car, suggesting that Bageldog had negotiated a "risk premium" in his favor in the price. Depending on the size of that premium, one would feel more or less sorry for him.

Quick Reply: Ok, in response to Mike and everyone else... (long)