S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ok, so who here will swear that getting coilovers....is any/not any better than just upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, so who here will swear that getting coilovers....is any/not any better than just upgrading

the springs and the shocks? I have got a friend who says that anyone who gets coilovers for their car is a retard......especially if they are anything less than a somewaht proffesional driver. He says don't waste the money on coilovers, they will do NOTHING that some springs, shocks and a sway won't do already.
Also he says to learn to drive your car stock first, before you upgrade suspension, which i agree with, but i still think someone relatively familiar with their car can benefit from some suspension tweaks. (assume good rubber is on already)

discuss

joe
Old 03-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Maestro

coilovers allow for height adjustment
Old 03-06-2003, 01:08 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's this sound: In it's stock form, the S4 is already equipped with coilovers!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Maestro

true. but on this board when people say *coilovers* they mean threaded coilovers
Old 03-06-2003, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

coilover are great for adjusting height, otherwise I agree
Old 03-06-2003, 01:23 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I think finding a well matched shock and spring for your chassis is important.

The likelihood of finding that with a threaded body coilover system is much better.

Learning to drive your car well...always important...but all levels of enthusiasts will enjoy the benefits of an aftermarket suspension. The car just feels tighter and flatter.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:24 PM

Default right, but how many people here actually adjust the height more than once? and is the height any dif

ferent than that with springs and shocks......what i am saying is.....i agree with him if everyone here says that the only advantage is height adjustability...but everyone here has gotten them and talked about the handling.....are we all idiots for not getting a less expensive option for the ability to tweak the height mere millimieters in difference (of course not talking about slamming the car....we have to talk in terms of helping the handling)
Old 03-06-2003, 01:34 PM

Default I drove two S4's with H&R street coilovers & MTM spring/shock combo before...

I made my decision which suspension I wanted to go with. I felt that the coilovers handled better and suited my needs more. I can't comment for everyone else on here though.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default For street enthusiasts, there are two benefits to having the height adjustability...

1. Aesthetics - lower the car as much or as little as you like.
2. Wheel Fitment - If your wheels are a little too wide, you can raise the ride height to avoid contact between the tire and fender.

For other benefits to coilovers, reference my prior post.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:28 PM

Default True for most, false for some

True that coilovers won't do much over a regular shock / spring combo for most drivers. Couple the right shock valving with the right springs will get you a great handling car.

Coilovers are better than shocks and springs not because you can slam the car so low the frame touches the ground, which seems to be the trend here sometimes.... People just want their car as low as they can get it. But there is a true benefit in that you can corner balance your car and dial out incosistencies in turning left and right, as well as getting a more neutral feel to the car overall.

Most people don't get to that stage where they're so good at driving, that the car is limiting them from going faster. Not many people that I know of personally who are at that stage though. I know I'm way far behind and won't need coilovers for such fine tuning for a long long time.

Quick Reply: Ok, so who here will swear that getting coilovers....is any/not any better than just upgrading