S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Okay 45K miles finally my stock TBB said buh bye,

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Okay 45K miles finally my stock TBB said buh bye,

I have not driven the car in almost a month, but felt some throttle cut at something like 1.1bar on my boost gauge and the spool was definately not right.

so I pulled her in to the new garage and put some pressure in her, ahhhhh that's a lot of air coming from there.

So i pulled the TBB (not an easy task with the FMIC, had to loosen one of the upper IC pipes at both ends enough to get it out of the TBB then force it around the other one (not fun, normally TBB is an easy easy task, not this one).

Normal slice under the TBB, mine is offset but it's the normal inch or so , This was updated TBB and updated clamp (from factory).

PIC HERE if it was any different then the last 100 or so torn TBB's

Since no respecting Audi owner should ever be without a spare TBB, I replaced it with my 1.5-2 year old shelf ornament (knew I would need it someday). (but my new pad satan is right around the corner, so I'm not so bad off, if I must set foot into an Audi dealer, at least I don't have to drive 30+ minutes to get to one)

Pressure checked again and had some adjustments to do at IC outlet, BPV to upper pipe and didn't tigten the TBB down enough, after some minor adjustments, the pressure check resultsd in a clean bill of health, just like it has been for almost 5 years.

So will drive her and see if she is back to her old Cactus self.

w0w think this is the first wrenching i've done on her in a long time (yes it's much cheaper then a shrink)

Tory

Interesting note, when I bought the TBB it appears they sold me the old style clamp as well (#$$$%#), luckily my car came with the updated one (still didn't totally eliminate the TBB failure