S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Old problem haunts me again: can't get Lemmi and VAG to work on my USB ports...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old problem haunts me again: can't get Lemmi and VAG to work on my USB ports...

I had it working before but my computer got infected with a virus so I formatted the drive and re-installed everything. Can't get it to work again. Did the following:

1. Download VAG-COM release 504-1 (old) for my HEX-USB. Install drivers with VAG cable in one USB port. VAG works fine and accesses the car OK.
2. Download FTDI (virtual com port) files. Install drivers with VAG cable in other USB port.
3. Install Lemmi.

VAG-COM works fine and, although Lemmi opens OK, it can't access the car for data. I looked in my windows XP 'device driver' folder and see that the VAG-COM drivers are in the USB port area for BOTH ports even though I installed the FTDI files for one of them. For some reason the computer keeps going back to the VAG-COM drivers. How do I get the COM port to recognize the other USB port??

I STFA'd for all of those instructions...except I haven't tried Jason Trumpio's code editing yet (would like to get it how I had it before if I can).
Old 10-15-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Try updating the VAG-Com driver with serial emulator again on the port you want to use Lemmi..

It sometimes doesn't take on the 1st try. Don't ask me how I know. Once you've got that, make sure the com port you choose in Lemmi matches the control panel device manager com port setting.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Roger the port matching thing but I've tried re-installing like 5 times...

but WinXP keeps assigning "VAGUSB.sys" to the Win/sys32/drivers folder and "VAGUSB.dll" to the Win/sys32 folder even though I'm asking it to use the virtual com-port (FTDI) folder and files. So weird. I even tried un-installing VAG. Let me try some more...
Old 10-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Heh, reminds me so much of my whole debacle. The best advice I can give you is keep your cool...

and keep trying

Maybe search for my posts (UID 69223 IIRC) on the topic.

In my case, it eventually just worked and I'm not exactly sure what I did for things to change.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't use the same USB port and should be OK. I used the other USB port on my laptop for Lemmi.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. I have 3 ports. Worked before - one for each. Argh.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM

Default when you update the drivers....

it asks if you want to search for the driver, or specify the driver first. if you select search, then pick the com port emulator directory, windows will assume the vag driver is a better match and revert to that anyway.

it is important on the very first step of updating the driver you tell it you are going to pick the driver then browse, else windows decided for itself.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know - so frustrating. Maybe this info will help figure it out...

I noticed that when I tried running that "FTDIUNINSTALL" icon that it didn't even find the program in the Win32 drivers directory to uninstall...even though I setup the second port while indicating the FTDI file folder. So, somehow I think I've not installed the FTDI file properly. All I did was download from the website in the archives and save to my desktop. I unpacked them into a different folder on my desktop. I then choose this folder for when the computer asks to setup the new port...but the computer ends up grabbing the VAG drivers for some reason. So weird.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

EdyJun's site has a post which is a fabulous instruction! It's the only way I got mine to work.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Aha! So Win will choose a "better" driver on it's own? Crappy Bill Gates. OK, so...

should I just choose the file directly on my own? Let me try that now. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Old problem haunts me again: can't get Lemmi and VAG to work on my USB ports...