S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

the only consensus on suspension mods for the S4 is "no consensus"...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 01:34 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the only consensus on suspension mods for the S4 is "no consensus"...

i've monitored and searched this board for a good month now regarding the best suspension.

very frustrating when you get 10 different opinions on the very same suspension.

some get rub, some don't.

some have excessive tire wear, some don't.

some say it's to "low" and switch and what they switched to is supposed to be even lower according to the Mfg'rs specs!?!?!?

the only way to be sure is to do it yourself and make changes from there...and hope you have the cash to work with.

just venting :-)

it's a bummer.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Suspension is all about personal pref. You need to hunt down some S4's in your area that......

have different suspension set-ups, and drive them for yourself.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i agree, thats the nature of this forum, its also why I went with coilovers...

so that if i wasnt happy originally, i could adjust it. with springs/shocks, it's one and done. and i can tell you that as far as ride quality i couldnt be happier (wife and baby agree). H&R street coilovers.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I know how you feel. Thinking of do something this year as well.

All I want to do is lower the car *slightly* and get rid of the dive and squat. No tracking (I don't think) And do this with the least affect on ride quality. Let me know what you decide, seems like your farther along the investigation process than I.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stasis Engineering Track Sport Coilovers are the BEST suspension option for the S4...

and stuff like rubbing is all dependent on tire selection, offset of wheels, ride height etc.

This is all way to person-specific.

But as for which one is the best, it's the Stasis Engineering Track Sport Coilovers.

This assumes that the "best" upgrade is the one that offers the maximum performance given any price range.

Like exhausts, they all offer good things. If you want the least amount of restriction, you have to be willing to ride around in a loud car. So if quiet is important, than performance is not the key factor, and you begin balancing all of the options.

FWIW...
Old 02-19-2002, 01:55 PM

I've heard that stasis coilovers are by far *THE* BEST, but they are also the most expensive option.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That is precisely why I went with a 'moderately' lowered suspension...

Intrax and Konis... sporty, stiff, doesn't bounce and most of all, doesn't rub. I purchased on that premise and that is EXACTLY what I got. I sorted through all the bias opinions and went with what sounded like what I was looking for, as described above. Oh, and moderately priced too. I eventually saw and drove someone elses with this set up which helped me make the final decision. I am not at all trying to sell you or anyone on my set up, just stating that I found what I was looking for - my decission process worked for me.

But, I know what you mean about those types of questions here... god forbid someone post; "What is the best chip and why?" OMG!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:02 PM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Default John! See above about Stasis...AND -->>

we will have to see if we can ride w/ Andy Hedin - he has the H&R Coilover Street Setup BUT he's got an Imola Avant.

i'm looking for the same things as you - but i can take a bigger hit on ride quality - i like it sporty though.

i don't know of anyone else in our area w/ a sedan who has mod'd the suspension - boohoo.

i was going to just go w/ H&R sport springs, but now i don't feel confident about it anymore.

maybe i can swing a test drive of Mo's car tomorrow while i'm at Knopf for my O2 sensor - he had MTM springs on a 2000 S4.

regardless i'll let you know what i find.
Old 02-19-2002, 02:05 PM
Rest In Peace

Can you keep the ride height stock?
Old 02-19-2002, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First off, why would you, it looks like a 4x4? But seriously...

They are adjustable coilovers.

The standard setting puts you at around 25 1/4" at all four corners.

This is with threading left on the perch to raise or lower the car.

By how much only Stasis Engineering can answer. But you can definitely raise your car higher. I'd email Stasis Engineering and ask them what the max ride height given the perch threading is on their Track Sport Coilover kit.

Quick Reply: the only consensus on suspension mods for the S4 is "no consensus"...