S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

An open letter to S4 owners. Please read, this may involve you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 01:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An open letter to S4 owners. Please read, this may involve you.

To: Yellow S4
To: Black S4
CC: S4 Owners

Dear Sir,

This is addressed to S4 owners in general, but also to two S4 owners in particular, one Black with Illinois license plates (YXU...) and one Yellow with Wisconsin license plates (JPD...).

12:20 pm: Medium to dense traffic. If the owner of the Imola car with Wisconsin plates is here, please watch out. I was the driver of the 996 Turbo that you pulled up next to today at Canal St. Granted, no one was present immediately at the intersection, but given your plates and your choice of Canal as a theatre for roadracing, I'm betting you're not familiar with the area. Fifty miles per hour is the fastest reasonable speed on Canal (even on empty roads, due to the bad condition of the asphalt and the changes in elevation on Canal between Roosevelt and Union Station). Please watch your driving and use some restraint... I dropped it in first, clicked to second, and stopped approaching fifty (with a number of carlengths on you)... at that point the contest was over, yet you continued on and came within inches of hitting the taxicab pulling away from the curb before the overpass, having to pull into my lane and wildly slam on the brakes in front of me in order to avoid going into the dip under the overpass too hot. This was not a piece of masterful driving.

3:52 am: Very light traffic. The Black S4, which went from express to main lanes behind me about four minutes ago at the junction of the Express Lanes and the I-90 Main before Ohio St., was quite well driven and pulling hard. I exited the express lanes at about 90 mph and was at 115 in the main lanes when I flagged you past to pass. You passed at speeds in excess of 120, completed the merge into my lane easily doing 100. Nice car, nice driving.

To everyone:

Enthusiastic driving is a great thing and a side effect of enthusiasm regarding the hardware, the industry, and the pride in ownership of great automobiles. However, it is neither clever nor respectable to put peoples' lives in danger mid-day in Chicago simply to challenge one's muscle in a two-block streetrace over bad roads traveling toward one of the most perilous changes in road elevation in downtown Chicago.

I don't mean to sound preachy -- we've all been offenders on this front to greater or lesser extents -- but remember that some significant portion of the population (pedestrian or vehicular) isn't going to survive an impact from an S4 traveling at 80 or 100 mph. Beating other Bavarian creations off the line isn't worth risking bystanders' lives... or your own.

Be careful out there & see you at the track.

Best Regards,
Cameron
Old 03-25-2001, 01:26 AM

damn dude, you're hella rich yo!!!
Old 03-25-2001, 06:14 AM

Well said....
Old 03-25-2001, 06:18 AM

Default It's tough to be preachy...

...when you're involved in the street race yourself ;-) I do agree that you need to pick your battles carefully if you decide to lay the smack down on someone outside of the racetrack.

The safety equipment required at tracks (drag, road course, etc) is there for a reason. Anyone here have a rollbar/cage in their S4? Not that I plan on racing mine, just checking :-) The wife unit wouldn't like having to crawl over door bars in a skirt ;-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.purplecar.org/">Wayne's Cars</a></li></ul>
Old 03-25-2001, 09:46 AM

Well said brother. I think most of us have too much to loose.
Old 03-25-2001, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can I drive the 996 TT please?????
Old 03-25-2001, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default WTF!? You're complaining that someone is driving dangerously and you're casually going 100mph+.

I can respect your initial concern for safety, but your second example completely negates any credibility you think you might have. Follow your own advice. You're not holyier than thou.
Old 03-25-2001, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Mr. Pott, I would like to introduce you to Mr. Kettle. Seems like you both have a lot in common.
Old 03-25-2001, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

hahah
Old 03-25-2001, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Expert

ha ha.

Quick Reply: An open letter to S4 owners. Please read, this may involve you.